Light-O-Rama Forums

Totes for CCR controlers during the show

frankmbye

I’m going to story my L-O-R and C-C-R controllers in plastic totes during the time that they are being use for my Christmas light show this year. I’m guessing that I need to cut a small hole into the tote for the wires to run through. My question is how do you seal the hole so that rain and snow does not get inside.  

I did about the same thing last year, but I used a lockable poly box I got at Lowes. I cut two holes in the bottom about 4"x8" and set the box on a couple of 4"x4" lumber. That way the extension cords could come out the bottom so I didn't have to worry about the rain and snow. That is what I'll be doing this year. I also mounted the controllers on the side of the box too. As I said, the box has a lockable hinged lid and two places for locks to lock the lid, so I ran a lock and chain around the oak tree so the box wouldn't grow legs. The box looks like a foot locker (tool box) type thing.

Need to clarify: The box I used was for my LOR controllers. I don't have CCR controllers. I have CCP controllers and I think they are different than the CCR's.

Sorry about the confusion. 

While you could use RTV sealant or Plumbers Putty; I would suggest closed back grommet's.

These are nifty rubber inserts that re-seal themselves once a wire is poked through. The best bet is take an Exacto knife or razor and carefully cut an 'X' pattern on the inside. You can push a 12 amp extension cord plug through the membrane, and the rubber will fold back around the cord making a nice waterproof seal.

The advantage is that you can make all your electrical connections inside the 'cooler' or 'workbox'; and easily remove the plugs once the show is over, then use it again next year. If you go the sealant or putty route, you have to scrap the stuff off, whereas these guys are reusable.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GROTE-Grommet-2VPZ2?Pid=search

Grainger $10.50

4 1/2" ID

I use duct seal from the electrical dept at Home Depot.  It comes in a block like kids clay.  It cost just under $2 for a block.  I roll it into a worm and than just press it into place around the penetration in the container.  I do run the wires through a cable clamp first.

Steve

Thanks for all of the ideas. I have been thinking about how I was going to store my light controllers during the time that my shoe is going. I was going through Wal-Mart and saw a utility cabinet on season end sale. I brought it home and installed L brackets on the sides and back, I installed all 16 of my controls inside of the cabinet and cut a hole in the bottom of one of the doors for wiring to run in and out of. I will attached a cut inter tube above and stuff it in the hole to stop snow from getting inside. I’m still not sure about my CCR controllers, but will probably put them in a plastic tote. I have added a photo of the cabinet so that you can see what it looks like.

post-10653-0-70393900-1377868165_thumb.j

That's nicely done. How do you plan to disguise it into the display? BTW: You'd better stock up on SPT Wire and Vampire Plugs.

It will set around the corner of my house. I will have 1 of my 5 securely cameras on it. As for the wiring, I have about 3 miles of have always put the controls in my garage before; believe it or not this will be closer.