Light-O-Rama Forums

Robins Wheel Best Way To Set Up Channels

Joe Polenchar

Hello All,

I am building a Robins Wheel for our display. My question is what is the best way to set up the channels for programing?

Would it be best to set up the channels from the inside of the spokes, the hub, and go around the wheel. EG. spoke 1 thru 8 Channels 1 thru 8. Second segment spokes 1 thru 8 channels 9 thru 16 etc. or would it be better to do a spoke at a time EG. spoke 1 channels 1 thru 4 spoke 2 channels 5 thru 9 etc. I plan to use a total of 32 channels 4 segments per spoke 8 spokes. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My wheel is 24 channels. I set the channels starting at 12 oclock, 1 in, 2 center, 3 out for each spoke going clockwise. I have considered another track with the spokes arranged by all the ins then centers then outs to make some effects simpler to sequence.

Highly agree with the multi track for different configurations.  I have a pixel star and I'm now up to 7 tracks.  Drastically simplifies sequencing.

These are the 3 ways I was contemplating this year. I ended up doing a Pixel Burst with 250 pixels. I just couldn't justify 2 controllers for a small prop like this.

My wheel is 24 channels. I set the channels starting at 12 oclock, 1 in, 2 center, 3 out for each spoke going clockwise. I have considered another track with the spokes arranged by all the ins then centers then outs to make some effects simpler to sequence.

Not to hijack this thread too much, But Brian, when are you going to stop holding that nutcracker hostage? seems like its been a couple of years now. :)  :)

attachicon.gifRobin Wheels.zip

These are the 3 ways I was contemplating this year. I ended up doing a Pixel Burst with 250 pixels. I just couldn't justify 2 controllers for a small prop like this.

Thanks for the ideas Ron.

Seems to me the best way so far is to give it two tracks.

One set up for types of spins and one set up for types of bursts.

Not to hijack this thread too much, But Brian, when are you going to stop holding that nutcracker hostage? seems like its been a couple of years now. :)  :)

Well, the Nutcracker King is still refusing to pay.

I will venture to get a new shot this setup season.

The way you set up the spokes is a personal choice.  I would suggest that you create animation sequence and build all the patterns you will be using in it.  Then using copy and stretch to fit paste, transfer them into your musical sequences.  I have had a wheel in my display for 4 years now, and I have over 30 patterns.  I would hate to think how much time I would have spent re-sequencing the patterns each time I used them.

Pretty easy to make.  Just PVC, one bolt and lights. 

Get 2 PVC X connectors.  I used 3/4 inch stuff.  Drill a hole through the center of them so you can put a bolt through.  Cut your 8 lengths of tubing to the size you want to make it.  My spokes are 30 inches, making the wheel 5 feet across.  Wrap each spoke with 3 or 4 sections of lights, depending on what you want.  I used a 50ct set on each 10 inch section.    Put it together, bolt it and add cords and away you go.   $15 to build and $400 to control it.

$15 to build and $400 to control it.

Thanks Brian  that is why I might build it with coro and pixels, do you or anybody else would like to share their sequence for the robin wheel.

This is how mine is setup and I have a $hit ton of patterns sequenced if you would like me to share.

• Like 1