Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with General Step by Step

mf112

Ok, honestly, this is our first year.  We always put on a large christmas display, but this will be the first year we will be doing any sort of LOR sequencing, as all of our previous lighting was just static.  We already have everything in purchased, in hand, and I've already been through several songs thru the sequencer. My question lies here... Next month, we will begin taking a few weekends setting up our yearly display. We have an idea of what area we will be utilizing our LOR display, but we don't necessarily know everything that will be apart of the LOR setup. 

Having never done this before, I don't know the general steps one would take, such as

1. Sequence the songs

2. Assign the channels to various lighting arrangements

3. Draw the animation, then program the song accordinly to our liking

etc.

With us not knowing our lighting arrangement ahead of time, nor do I know where the LOR controllers will be placed, so I won't know at this point what channels will be assigned to what.  Do we have to build our lighting arrangement first, then label/assign each channel in the sequencer software according to the physical lighting arrangement, and go from there?  Or am I making this harder than it seems it should be?  I just want any feedback I can get to ensure that we do this in the order that makes the most sense, while saving some time if possible.

Im guessing that the order of things must be done this way, at least for the first year doing this:

1.  Sequence the songs (done at any time, modifications later)

2.  Hang lights, trees, etc

3.  Based on the LOR controller channels used in each particular lighting arrangement, assign those chanels in the sequencer accordingly

4.  If needed, draw out the lighting arrangement in the sequencer, and then sequence the music to our liking

5.  Troubleshoot later as needed..?

I'd also ask for any suggestions as to FM transmitters that carry a range of around 750', as the area we do our private tours is quite large.

Any advice is always welcome.

Starting with 128 channels.

The first thing you need to know is what you are going to control with LOR and where you are going to place it.  You need a solid plan in order to do any kind of logical sequencing or your display will look like a random mess.   How can you plan any left to right sweeps or high to low if you don't know where things are going to be.   What channel of the box each element will be assigned to is not as important yet as you can finalize that later in order to minimize extension cords. 

The visualizer or animation window is an important tool in understanding the symmetry and choreography of the lights.  I still only use the animation window but it gives me all I need to see for sequencing.

I would also suggesty ou go to the LOR website... lightorama.com They have a lot of how to videos and help. I echo the above, do all your homework, layout, etc. long before you begin to sequence anything!!!

???" I've already been through several songs thru the sequencer"

What does that mean?

What I do is think of what is going to go where.

Then get a picture of your yard and import it into Animator (or the Visualizer)

Then draw your lights in the Animator (or the Visualizer)

Sequence for months, saving often and backing up all over.

All year by extension cords.

YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE ALL OVE THE ABOVE IF YOU ARE HAVING A SHOW THIS YEAR.

Book a week off in Nov.

As soon as Halloween is done start setting up.

While you are setting up note what would be better for next year.

While watching the show note what would be better for next year.

Look of deals on lights..

I just meant I have been using the sequencer, and I've already sequenced several songs so far. As far as the steps that I should be taking, it sounds like we are on the right track. It's somewhat hard to use the visualizer too far ahead of setting things up, as our display is going to change quite a bit this year. We also light up more than 10 acres, so things move around quite a bit from one year to the next. I suppose I have my work cut out for me.

Realistically, you need to have some idea of where and what you want to blink and flash, unless you are just going to throw lights in the yard and hope it looks nice. How many channels? Are you using Cosmic Color Devices? What kind of lights, incandescents, LED's? Once you figure where the LOR stuff is going to be placed, take a picture of that area, import it into the visualizer, add the lights you want to blink, and then get a sequence going to see how it will look. You may do that and decide the display needs to be changed. 10 acres? wow, I want to see your display, it sounds incredible. Like Earle says, where is CF are you located, there are a number of folks here that may be able to help.

I just meant I have been using the sequencer, and I've already sequenced several songs so far. As far as the steps that I should be taking, it sounds like we are on the right track. It's somewhat hard to use the visualizer too far ahead of setting things up, as our display is going to change quite a bit this year. We also light up more than 10 acres, so things move around quite a bit from one year to the next. I suppose I have my work cut out for me.

wow if you move stuff round you will soon find out how much of a pain that will cause you. once you have your layout set,don't change it. besides it's kinda tough to sequence anything if you don't know where your elements are