Light-O-Rama Forums

Synthasizing colors

skamin57

Has anyone tried or had any success in synthasizing colors using red, green and blue lights. I am considering this for the front of my house instead of buying all different color strings of lights and the amount of channels that would occupy. 

not sure what you are asking?  there are RGB and CCF options that use one unit to allow you to "wash" your house with a variety of colors but they can be pricey and take some programming.  or are you thinking of using Red Green and Blue ican floods?

You could buy strings of 5mm red, green and blue LEDs and tape each set of 3 bulbs together. You'd still need to get some distance away before the colors would blend. If you could find some white translucent caps that fit over 3 bulbs, that may help.

It may turn out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Taping the bulbs into pixels works. Each pseudo dumb RGB string will use three channels of LOR, and yes, that's a lot of taping, but with the three bulbs locked closely together into a "pixel" the viewing distance doesn't have to be that great.

I'm going to try this. I thought about "braiding" the strings together in the thought it might be easier to attach and align the bulbs. Then I would probably zip-tie every so often, perhaps even zipping the 3 bulbs together to keep them as close to each other as possible.

But braiding would make replacing a failed string pretty difficult.

What do others do?

But braiding would make replacing a failed string pretty difficult.

What do others do?

I braid my super-strings. The LED strings don't fail very often, but when they do, I repair them in the field.

As a result of reading this topic, this year I think I'm going to try attaching the 5mm bulbs together to make a dumb pseudo-RGB string. (I don't think this will work for the C-6 bulbs as they seem too big.) The question is whether to use wire ties or vinyl tape?