Light-O-Rama Forums

Help needed please in running a show!

deej012160

Posted in PC, also.  I believe I have done everything I need to do, to run a show.  I have setup the sequences to run in the show, I have setup the time when the show should run, and I have even manually started the show a few times.  However, it's like my controller (CTB16PC) has a "mind of its own".  The lights flash on & off from channel to channel as if the controller is running a sequence or sequences; different channels are on/off, sometimes all flash, sometimes there are fades..  Etc.  I recently downloaded version 3.10.6 of the LOR software.  Is it possible that I might have to update the firmware?  Any ideas?  Thanks very much in advance!!!

That sounds like an electrical noise issue to me, or a faulty data cable.  Try a different data cable first; you may have a bad crimp on an RJ45 end.  Make sure your data cable doesn't run parallel to any electrical cords unless separated by at least 6 inches (a couple of feet would be better)  If data cables and power wires need to cross, do it at 90 degree angles if possible, and again, separated if possible.

And something Dan Baldwin would probably ask you.  Are you using the filtered USB cable?  The one with the ferrite core in it?  You shoul; it helps prevent the types of symptoms you mention.

I know someone running LOR version 1.  He has this same problem occasionally.  It's never been a software issue.

I haven't seen any issues running the data cable too close to power.  I have one controller that the power cord and data cable are in the same 2" conduit.  It could be a bad cable though.  I would try the HW utility to ensure all is well.

Tried that; didn't work.  Good idea though.  I had already rebooted but tried it again just in case.  I also swapped out CAT5 cables.  No difference.  If I am reading the hardware utility correctly, the PC is "seeing" the controller.  When I do a "refresh" it shows the unit to be:

01 - 16PC-G3 Ver 1.04.  Controller continues to turn lights on & off "at will" without seemingly getting any commands whatsoever from my PC.  Any other ideas???  Thanks in advance.

Do your sequences run correctly without being in a "show"? Can you manually run each sequence from the sequence editor, without error?

It is entirely possible it is the controller, but it usually isn't.

Something I don't see mentioned.  Is this your only controller?  If not, do other controllers do this as well?

The HW utility does more than just detect controllers and update firmware.  You can run a simple chase sequence with it.  If the controller runs that correctly, it's something in your channel configuration or you have a corrupted copy of LOR.

You might also try a piece of software called "Xlights" - it is not a sequence editor, it is only a sequence player with some diagnostics built in.  It is also free.  I sue it for the diagnostics, primarily on an old laptop I don't want to waste a LOR license on.  If the controller works with that, but not the LOR software, I'd consider an uninstall / re-install of the LOR software.

Does the controller act up when there is no sequence running?  With the cable disconnected?  If it acts up with the cable disconnected from the controller, definitely a controller issue (or bad power issue?)  If it acts up with the cable connected to the controller but not to the dongle or another controller, it's a cable noise issue, but you said you changed out the cable.

Basic trouble shooting skills apply; break the system down to each of its components (controller, cable, dongle, USB cable, PC, software) and test each piece individually and then with each other.

If you're not using any of the MP3 Director units, then this won't apply, but if you are using an MP3 Director, read on.

When using an MP3 Director and playing sequences from the SE or using the HWU to test lights, is the SD Card removed from the MP3 Director?

If Yes, you may have another issue and can skip all info below, if No, continue on.

If the SD Card has any type of sequences on it and/or is the type with built in internal clock, and the SD card is still installed in the Director, this will also occur.    I use an older DC-MP3 Showtime Director with built in clock and if I forget to remove the SD card, then go and run a sequence from SE or try to run a light sequence test from within the HWU, I will get strange results from any or all controllers connected to the MP3 Director.   That is random lights will go off and on with no apparent reason. 

What happens is the SD Card sequences and the SE or HWU are fighting for control over the controller{s}, with the SD Card installed, the controller{s} get confused and random lights will turn on and off. 

Making you think it could be noise on the cables, bad controller{s} or even corrupt software, when all it is, is the MP3 Director and the Software are fighting each other for control over the controller{s}.   The simple fix, just remove the SD card from the MP3 Director and all should work as normal.  If not, then there may be other issues that need investigating.

Thank you very much for all your responses!! I opened up a help desk case with LOR last night about 1030 PM CST.  They responded by about 0800 today with these instructions (paraphrased for brevity):

1) Power down unit

2) Move jumper from pins 4/5 to pins 5/6

3) Power up unit & verify status light (green on my model) fast flashes (it did)

4) Power down unit & move jumper back to pins 4/5

5) Power up unit & run hardware utility, verify unit ID as expected (it was)

6) Check with sequence editor and/or shows to verify lights work.  They worked properly with one exception; the left side lights (1-8) do not ever turn on.  I checked the left side & right side plugs; the unit only powers up when the right side plug is plugged into the wall.  I swapped fuses from left side to right side to see if maybe a fuse was bad; no difference.  I asked LOR for further help.  Anyway, the unit is reset now!!

Thank you very much for all your responses!! I opened up a help desk case with LOR last night about 1030 PM CST.  They responded by about 0800 today with these instructions (paraphrased for brevity):

1) Power down unit

3) Power up unit & verify status light (green on my model) fast flashes (it did)

6) Check with sequence editor and/or shows to verify lights work.  They worked properly with one exception; the left side lights (1-8) do not ever turn on.  I checked the left side & right side plugs; the unit only powers up when the right side plug is plugged into the wall.  I swapped fuses from left side to right side to see if maybe a fuse was bad; no difference.  I asked LOR for further help.  Anyway, the unit is reset now!!

Had that problem with an older G2 unit, check your spade lugs on the LOR Controller board that your power cord is plugged onto, I had a neutral that was not soldered onto the board very well and was very loose, I just removed the spade from that lug on the power cord to another neutral lug and, voila, had power back to side 1-8.   

So you may want to be sure you're getting power through the cord supplying power to side 1-8, if you have a volt-meter or an ohm-meter with a volt-meter option, take power readings from the cords spades and be sure it is supplying power, if so, then check the lugs that are soldered onto the LOR Controller board, and try different power input lugs and see if that resolves the issue. 

Just make sure you go neutral {white wire} to a neutral lug on the LOR board, hot {black wire} to a hot lug on the LOR Board, they should all be well marked, they are all marked off very well on my G2 board.  So figure the G3 should be as well marked.

Edited by Orville

1) Power down unit

Only one cord powers the logic unless it is wired for a single plug.

You are plugging both cords in for your test? 

If I recall correctly, the left cord powers the circuits 1-8.  The one on the right powers circuits 9-19 and the logic on the board.

I pulled the left side power supply fuse, plugged the power cord into the AC receptacle, verified 120 VAC at the line side of the fuse holder. Removed power, reinstalled fuse, powered up & verified power on both line & load sides.  Plugged in both plugs, now everything works like a champ.  I am thinking maybe the left side power fuse wasn't seated properly or something (I swapped left & right side fuses a few days ago).  Anyway, everything working great now.  Thanks so much for your advice!!!!!

• Like 1