Light-O-Rama Forums

A 24x50 MegaTree question

craigh

Looking at the Sample Sequence - Vis_24x25Tree_8RowGlobe_Sample.sup - it appears that the String is folded in half - Correct?

How would I modify this to have the each of the strings in a straight line - 24 strings x 50 pixels long (16.33 feet long) - with no folds in the strings? Also how would I create that in the Visualizer as well?

And remove the globe on the top, I only have a 3 way rope light star.

Craig

If you want to create a visualization of a 24 string 50 pixel long tree, use the tree wizard in the visualizer. There are options to make it 180 degree, 360 degree, start at left, start at right etc.

For "Type of Channel Bundles / Fixtures" choose "CCR Edge to Center" if your controllers are at the bottom. Choose "CCR Center to Edge" if your controllers are at the top.

Realize that the CCR ribbons are 16.33 ft long, but the CCP strings and CCB strings are 25 ft long. You can space CCPs and CCBs closer if you have something you are mounting them on.

Also realize that there is no easy way to convert my sequences that are made for a 24x25 tree to a 24x50 tree. To lengthen the effects to go 50 pixels instead of 25 you need to manually change each effect.

• 11 months later...

Brain: I have a question on how to sequence a 360 degree spiral. Do you do this effect using a morph or is there another method to create a spiral? I have looked at some of the sequences for CCP tree on Wowlight's website, and they show the pixel tree using spirals.

Thanks

The spirals are done using morphs and using "wrap around" when importing the visualization. There is a sample sequence.

1) launch superStar

2) click on the file menu and select "Open"

3) navigate to the "Samples" folder

4) open the file "Vis_24x25Tree_4RowGlobe_Spirals.sup"

• 1 year later...

It has been just over a year since this thread was last posted on but I am glad this thread was here. I never really looked at the Tree Wizard before because I assumed it was about making "Mega Tree" & so I was wondering how come they don't of a ccp tree wizard & using regular IDs & Aux A. I saw the Pixel Tree Wizard (but I am not going the DMX route) because I still use The Generation 3 MP3 Director Unit. Got away with it so far when I was using a 12 ccr Matrix & CCP arches, & ccp lights on the house. Anyhow I made a cheesy 16 leg pixel tree but I get the main picture on how it will look..

This time I can put ccrs on the house and have them change 5 different colours. The  5 colours I choose in Leds are RGBWY. 

The Tree Wizard in the Visualizer has four CCR options"

CCR Center to Edge

CCR Edge to Center

CCR Edge to Center/Center To Edge

CCR Center to Edge/Edge to Center

In the Visualizer, whenever it mentions "CCR" think of it as meaning "CCR, CCP, or CCB". In other words, if you choose any of the above four CCR options, you can use it for a CCP tree, or a CCB tree. Just think of each "CCR" as being one string from a CCP or one string from a CCB. CCRs have 50 pixels, and a string from a CCP or CCB has 50 pixels, so it ends up working.

Also, when you configure your CCP or CCB controllers with the Hardware Utility, be sure to configure them as "Dual Normal." In "Dual Normal" mode the unit ID that you assign in the Hardware Utility will get assigned to the first string connected to the controller. The second string connected to the controller will automatically get assigned to the next unit ID after the one you assigned. That way, each string has its own unit ID.

This means that in a CCP tree, you skip a unit ID between each controller. For example, if the first CCP controller was assigned unit ID 07, then the next controller would be assigned unit ID 09, and the next controller after that would be unit ID 0B etc.

If you want to create a visualization of a 24 string 50 pixel long tree, use the tree wizard in the visualizer. There are options to make it 180 degree, 360 degree, start at left, start at right etc.

For "Type of Channel Bundles / Fixtures" choose "CCR Edge to Center" if your controllers are at the bottom. Choose "CCR Center to Edge" if your controllers are at the top.

Realize that the CCR ribbons are 16.33 ft long, but the CCP strings and CCB strings are 25 ft long. You can space CCPs and CCBs closer if you have something you are mounting them on.

Also realize that there is no easy way to convert my sequences that are made for a 24x25 tree to a 24x50 tree. To lengthen the effects to go 50 pixels instead of 25 you need to manually change each effect.

For anyone interested there is a fairly easy way to convert 25 length to 50 length (or double or triple any number).  This process will double the number of pixels addressed like setting your ribbon/strings to grouping without having to be locked to that case (only for a portion of a song or only for one song).

First create a sequence with ONLY the new 24 X 50, 12 X 100 etc setup (no need to worry about the actual addressing of the strings only the order.

copy all the odd numbered pixels to a single track "Odd Pixels)

copy all of the even numbered pixels to a single track "Even Pixels"

Save this sequence (set the sequence to be as long as the longest sequence you are going to convert.

Open the sequence you want to convert  from.

Copy all of the programming ( start to end 1st to last pixel on the strip/ribbon you are converting)

Switch to the converter sequence and make sure the paste is set to paste by time.

Paste the clipboard to the odd track then to the same data to the even track.

Your master track will now have all the data doubled and can be pasted into your actual expanded sequence.

Depending on the size of the data you may need to copy and paste only  a portion of the channels at a time (depending on memory and amount of data).

Works very well just takes a little time to setup.  Once the conversion sequence is made it can be used over and over again.

Once done you can copy this (the completed converged data) into you actual sequence,  This is why it doesn't make any difference in the channel addressing in the converter sequence. BE SURE to use paste by time.

I used it this July to convert 12 X 50 to 12 X 100 and 12 X 50 to 13 X 120.

Again this does NOT modify the chases/ morph / text / image etc. data only doubles the resolution without locking you into that for a full sequence or show.   Not a complete solution it does work.

Edited by jerrymac

Very clever. I actually had not thought of that. It would of course be nice to have something built into superstar that would do something like that automatically.

Is it possible to use ccrs & ccps together for a tree? For example, if I use my 12 ccr's for a tree (it would cover the main body of the tree) & I add two ccps to the 12 ccrs (one ccp controller at each end) how would that look? The reason I would like to do that is so I can use the six remaining ccp controllers for 8 mini arches (two ccp controllers), & 8 mini trees (4 ccp controllers).

So do you think the tree would look good? I am already sequencing for a 16 leg ccr tree.