Light-O-Rama Forums

Music timing is off when using "visible screen" when sequencing?

Big Sanch Mafia

Hi,

This is my 4th sequence and i have never had any issues until now. i purchase the song off itunes. when i start working on my sequence i use the visible screen so i can hammer out the 10sec area and then move. last night i'm a minute into the sequence and decide to run the seq from the beginning to see how it looks. i realize that my seq doesnt match the music. when i go to the 6 second mark and hit play, the song starts over from the beginning opposed to starting at the 6 sec mark. why is this?

Its never happened before. do i need to run the song through audacity? any feedback would be appreciated.

i had about a minute of the song done before realizing it wasn't lined up.

Thoughts??

Thanks Chad

Im using .25 fixed timing grid if that matters

If when you play a sequence from the beginning vs playing it at a start point within the sequence, and you see a difference in timing, this is usually caused by the type of MP3 file being used. Converting to a constant bit rate (CBR) file will almost always take care of the problem. 

We have instructions on how to convert your MP3 to CBR using 'Audacity' and the 'LAME MP3' encoder.  Both tools are free.  The instructions can be found on this page: http://www.lightorama.com/PDFs.html entitled 'Preparing MP3 Files for Sequencing'.

If when you play a sequence from the beginning vs playing it at a start point within the sequence, and you see a difference in timing, this is usually caused by the type of MP3 file being used. Converting to a constant bit rate (CBR) file will almost always take care of the problem. 

We have instructions on how to convert your MP3 to CBR using 'Audacity' and the 'LAME MP3' encoder.  Both tools are free.  The instructions can be found on this page: http://www.lightorama.com/PDFs.html entitled 'Preparing MP3 Files for Sequencing'.

i run it through tonight and see if that fixes my issue. i guess i should run all my songs through Audacity just to be safe. thanks for the feedback

I was thinking the same thing. Last year an LOR veteran saved me a lot of hassle by giving me this tip when I introduced my self on the forums. I couldn't have been happier knowing he saved me from a train wreck .

The newest version of s3 states the ability to handle variable bitrate mp3s

I havent upgraded to the new releases yet, I wanted to wait until all the bugs are worked out.

BTW, running it through audacity fixed my issue. First time ive had to do this with a song but glad to know the quick fix moving forward.

3.10.6 fixed many issues with VBR media, so the need to run stuff through Audacity is reduced.  The next version will expand on those fixes to bring additional media stability.  We are trying to get to the point where users won't have to run stuff through Audacity going forward.

• Like 1

3.10.6 fixed many issues with VBR media, so the need to run stuff through Audacity is reduced.  The next version will expand on those fixes to bring additional media stability.  We are trying to get to the point where users won't have to run stuff through Audacity going forward.

DevMike, will this also include the newer G3 DC-MP3 Showtime Directors?

Not yet.  We have updates that are ready to go for all MP3 directors (not just the G3s), that will re-encode media on the fly as needed.  However, we are still struggling to get a license from Thompson/Technicolor for the encoder.  Those updates will probably not be part of the next media packaging upgrade.

That's some good news that I'll be able to upgrade my older DC-MP3 Showtime Director when the update is finally released for them.  Glad to hear I won't have to invest in a newer MP3 Showtime Director unit, although have been considering it.

Wish LOR lots of luck on getting the go ahead Licensing for the encoder for the MP3 Directors!

Edited by Orville

You are misunderstanding me.  The updates are for the HWU/Simple Show Builder to create MP3 files.  There are no firmware updates needed for the directors.

Not yet.  We have updates that are ready to go for all MP3 directors (not just the G3s), that will re-encode media on the fly as needed.  However, we are still struggling to get a license from Thompson/Technicolor for the encoder.  Those updates will probably not be part of the next media packaging upgrade.

What I highlighted in red in the quoted text and especially the itallicized and underlined section is what led me to believe this would be a "firmware", and not a software update.   Especially since you stated "all MP3 Directors", which I would take as a hardware device, again, not a software update.  

So my misunderstanding came from the way it was worded, making me think this would be a "hardware firmware" update.

You are misunderstanding me.  The updates are for the HWU/Simple Show Builder to create MP3 files.  There are no firmware updates needed for the directors.

I was unaware that the HWU and SSB are capable of "creating MP3 files", I thought the MP3's were an external part of the actual sequence that you build your shows from within those two programs, along with the SE. 

So now I am really puzzled, because are you saying the new updates to HWU and SSB will now create MP3 files and how are they doing that?

Not trying to be funny or a smart-a$$ here, just trying to understand what exactly these updates are really supposed to do.

Edited by Orville

A future version of the SSB/HWU will have the ability to re-encode most media to a properly formatted MP3 that our hardware directors can use.  

You supply whatever media you have.  We check it.  If it's not in the correct format for a director, we re-encode the media to the proper format before creating the show on the SD card.

Re encoding ability is NOT a part of the HWU/SSB at this time.  

In order to deploy this re-encoding functionality, we need a license from Thompson/Technicolor, the owners of the MP3 patents.  We do not have this license yet.

The MP3s that will be created from this re-encoding functionality will work on ALL of our Directors, not just the G3MP3.

With some songs this happens to me too, so I just speed the BPM up by 1 using a program called virtual Dj The 1% speed up in BPM is unnoticeable and this method works great for me. heres the software theres paid versions but they have a free version its not a trial but it won't have all the fetures as the paid versions would but it can speed up and down the BPM heres the software http://www.virtualdj.com/download/free.html maybe some one else will find this way useful hope this helps.

A future version of the SSB/HWU will have the ability to re-encode most media to a properly formatted MP3 that our hardware directors can use.  

You supply whatever media you have.  We check it.  If it's not in the correct format for a director, we re-encode the media to the proper format before creating the show on the SD card.

Re encoding ability is NOT a part of the HWU/SSB at this time.  

In order to deploy this re-encoding functionality, we need a license from Thompson/Technicolor, the owners of the MP3 patents.  We do not have this license yet.

The MP3s that will be created from this re-encoding functionality will work on ALL of our Directors, not just the G3MP3.

Thanks Mike, now that completely makes sense and I fully understand what you meant.