Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP in place of CCR for running CCR sequences ?

progun

Just wanting to get started, and take a bit off the introductory budget hit on my budget as a beginner.  I plan to add more every year but wanted to make a splash year one.

I would like to make a pixel mega tree but think a flat/ray tree would be an easier set up this first year and save me a few RGB strings and hardware purchasing which I can shift to next year's budget.

If I understand it, the CCR has 150 pixels, but are controlled in set of 3 (only one chipset per 3 RGB pixel sets).  If this is 50 controllable features per CCR, isn't that analogous to the 50 pixels per string on the CCP?  For about 1/2 the cost you twice the strings (but only 2/3 the total pixels) by going with CCP over CCR. 

Can the CCR sequences be easily translated to the CCP set up?  With the same I figure for some of the animations I would likely have to reduce my spacing down (say from the 5.5" Brian recommends to 2.75" for same 360 tree height or even 3-7/8" to give you ~the 5m first to last pixel and be same length as a CCR to try and avoid animation warping)).

Am I off base here?  Can this work out with little hassle?  If I buy 7 CCPs I can even have 100 lights for a star this year.  Then next year I only need buy one string and all the hardware (and globe construction) to graduate to a full on pixel tree (and could tree to start adding other yard features as well).

Or am I missing something and the sequencing (if I purchased 12 ribbon CCR sequences) just wont translate on the CCP flat tree?  I know the visualizer will have 3X the pixels on the computer, but it should send only one command and the CCP and CCR 50 command chips should be analogous, right?  If it needs tweaking I am not opposed to it (a rigorous set up in labeling, etc) but I want year one to be more about learning hardware than sequences... I can play with sequencing during the downtime AFTER this holiday.  :-)

I haven't had my CCPs long enough (1 year) to say if they are reliable or not, but both of my CCRs are experiencing pixel failure after 2 years.  CCRs are fragile, only bend in one plane, and the spacing between pixels is fixed.  CCPs are like working with an ordinary string of lights.  I would not recommend buying CCRs for reliability reasons.  That being said, using CCPs for a tree would require a unique mounting system to keep them facing in the correct direction,  the spacing between bulbs is long ( 6") and with the 100 bulb sets the controller is in the middle on the "string" (actually 2 sets of 50 bulbs).  For a tree CCRs are easier to work with as long as you are OK with a fixed length.  You are locked into the 16' length.

Programing is exactly the same.  I interchange my CCR patterns with the CCPs with no issues.