Light-O-Rama Forums

New LOR controller, Old D-Light user

seank124

Well as many of you may know, Seems d-light has decided to stop making controllers, I have 2 right now and im looking to get a new LOR controller! The big question is, Im thinking of getting http://store.lightorama.com/ctascpa.html I have done this with d-light as I have a understanding of electric very well.

This is where im concerned. They say I need to get a generic starter kit., I run Lighshowpro right now, and I have the usb adapter used for the controllers that is linked with d-light, It looks almost exactly the same as LOR's 

Had anyone had any success with running d-light and LOR on same strand ???

On d-light they came with a Hardware utility/ firmware software where I could test controllers/ update firmware, Does LOR have this?

Thanks you !

While I've never used d-light, I can answer your second question. Yes LOR comes with a hardware/utility/firmware software used for setting unit ID updating firmware troubleshooting hardware problems etc. Welcome to LOR

appreciate the info on software/utility.

I just got word that I can purchase one more controller thru d light person, but im really wanting to know if anyone has used the usb adapter thats with d light and worked with Lor if it doea work done deal ill purchase a light o rama controller.

Yes, I've used the d-light usb adapter with the LOR software without any problem.

So I should be able to run on the same cat 5 cable coming out of computer. So I should only need one USB adapter to run complete show???

SO I would have coming out of computer the usb adapter/ cat 5 going to my d-light controller 2 of them and out of 2nd d-light it would go to the LOR controller????

Will this work?

Ok, I am brand new to LOR having used other lighting controllers and software for the past 11 years or so....I just got the LOR software, and the starter kit with the usb dongle...because I was given a d-light controller and I wanted to get it hooked up and try out LOR.  I downloaded the driver for the USB device, hooked up LOR and ran the hardware utility.  It did not find the USB device or the D-light controller...I am not sure what to do next.  Do I need a D-light USB dongle or will the LOR dongle work?  Any help to get me started on getting this controller recognized would be much appreciated.

You need the D-light USB dongle primarily to talk to the D-light controller with the D-light hardware utility, to change ID, settings, etc.

You can use either dongle to run the light show. You will NOT see the D-light controller in the LOR hardware utility.  The D-light string should respond to requests to the correct ID.  Make very sure you don't have D-light controllers and LOR controllers on the same ID.

I'm not clear as to which USB device you downloaded the drivers for, check your windows device manager to see if you have any devices without drivers.  Also make sure you go into the LOR NETWORK configuration utility and set the com-port to your "regular" network.

See page 426 in here: http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.8.0/LORHelp.pdf for details.

Thanks Frank for the input. 
I have been able to install the USB 485 device on my PC on com 16 during
lunch.  When I choose that port in the
LOR hardware utility, the light stops blinking on the controllers I think that is good.   I don’t know anything else to do as far as
setting up LOR to see the controller, but I tried to create a sequence and ran
it but none of the lights came on.  Is
there something in LOR that needs to be set to now to see the device on com 16
or for it to acknowledge that there is hardware there?   When I push the little s1 button on the
controller, no lights go on either, I was thinking that might be a test button…

I also do see com 16 as the regular network port in the LOR network configuration window....

Thanks

In the Sequence Editor at the top is a drop-down called "PLAY". Select the "Control Lights" Option and see if that helps.  

Your LED light inside the controller should be a solid green, if its flashing then it is NOT communicating with the computer/software

*Edit

I just hooked up a controller and verified that this could be a likely cause. Hope this helps

Edited by m1ke05

Ok, I tried that, still I can't get the lights to work.  Maybe I am just not doing the proper steps in LOR.  Here is what I have done so far:

Got the LOR usb adapter hooked up to com port 16 - choose that port in the hardware utility and as the regualar LOR output in network config.

When I open LOR, the red light on the d-light controller stops blinking, so I assume it is connected properly.

I then created a sequence with 200 channels to be sure I covered this contorollers settings, by the way, the cords are marked 4.1, 4.2 etc.

I then choose a few of the columns and selected all and choose to turn lights on...so columns were highlighted.

I then hit the play button and it started scrolling, but none of the lights hooked up blinked.  Am I doing the right thing in LOR? 

If I need to get the d-light hardware dongle, can someone send me the link to one...or a way to see what setting this controller is on.  I would think 200 channels would cover it, but I could try 500

Thanks

J. J.

Ok, I tried that, still I can't get the lights to work.  Maybe I am just not doing the proper steps in LOR.  Here is what I have done so far:

Got the LOR usb adapter hooked up to com port 16 - choose that port in the hardware utility and as the regualar LOR output in network config.

When I open LOR, the red light on the d-light controller stops blinking, so I assume it is connected properly.

I then created a sequence with 200 channels to be sure I covered this contorollers settings, by the way, the cords are marked 4.1, 4.2 etc.

I then choose a few of the columns and selected all and choose to turn lights on...so columns were highlighted.

I then hit the play button and it started scrolling, but none of the lights hooked up blinked.  Am I doing the right thing in LOR? 

If I need to get the d-light hardware dongle, can someone send me the link to one...or a way to see what setting this controller is on.  I would think 200 channels would cover it, but I could try 500

Thanks

J. J.

Don't worry about it, I will go a different direction.

Thanks