Light-O-Rama Forums

Have a few questions before I buy a controller

JoeS

Hello everyone. I really want to buy a LOR controller but I have a few questions first, some of these questions I think are answered on the website but I would like to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly before I invest almost 500 dollars in a LOR.

I think I'm going to buy the CTB16PC ready to go controller. The site says there are two plugs and each one should be hooked up to a different dedicated power circuit, is this absolutely required or is that just in case I plan to plug a lot of stuff into the controller? I'm just going to be using LED lights and don't plan to hook up too much to the controller. I wasn't planning on adding any circuits just for this unit, assuming nothing else on a circuit was drawing power would it still be okay to use that circuit for the contoller? Would I be able to use an extentsion cord to plug the second plug into a different circuit?

Does the speaker plug into my computer or the controller? If it plugs into my computer are there any recommended speakers to buy for outdoor use? Exactly where would I buy a long cord that connects a computer to a speaker? I would probably need about 100 feet.

What are the major differences between the CTB16PC controller and the other controllers?

How does the controller plug into my computer, via a USB cable? Does it come with the cable or does that come with the software?

Other than sequencing the song or buying a sequence is there any other setup required other than plugging the controller into an outlet and my computer, hooking up the speaker and plugging in all of the decorations?

Thank you everyone.

Welcome Joe...No turning back now!

You will need the controller, USB dongle and a network cable from your PC to the controller.

You can plug both plugs in to one curcuit AS LONG AS THE DRAW IS LESS THAN 15 AMPS!!!

Then there is each side (Channels 1-8 and 9-16) has less than 8 AMPS.

I only have one string of LEDs  plugged into each channel and run a couple of controllers on each curcuit.

The speaker question I can't answer because I use a low powered transmitter that broadcasts to a portable stereo I have outside. People in cars can tune in and hear the music on their radios.

You are going to need an extension cord for each channel..

i am sure someone else will chime in the stuff I missed.

If you are going with outdoor speakers instead of a transmitter.   I suggest you get powered speakers which have a power cord and internal amplifier.  Using them you only run a long 3.5mm cord to them. 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=5595&CAWELAID=1329451861&catargetid=320013720000010984&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CO2A-qiJ3bgCFe9aMgodYEQAFQ

If you get regular speakers without an internal amp, you will need a stereo amplifier to power the speakers.   3.5mm from your pc to the amp and then zip cord to the speakers.

Get a splitter so you can hear inside and outside

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082703&p_id=7116&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of using a transmitter and putting a radio out there also, best of both worlds. Where can I buy a transmitter that would work for this? Are they pretty easy to setup?

Where do I get the USB dongle? Does it come with the controller or software?

So as long as I plug in less than 8 amps of decorations on channels 1-8 and less than 8 amps on channels 9-16 (and no more than 15 amps total) I should be okay with plugging both plugs into the same circuit? What if I wanted to plug 15 amps worth of decorations on each side, would it be okay to plug one plug to a different circuit via an extention cord or should these plug directly into a wall socket?

As far as the power for the controller is concerned, I ran 7 CTB16PCs last year on one circuit. I built a power distribution box with 4 receptacles on each cord. I plugged 2 wires from the circuit outside to the box and then plugged all 7 controllers in. Never tripped a breaker of GFCI. All lights were LED. 

Joe that is a 30 amp controller, 15 amps for channels  1-8 and 15 amps for channels 9-16.  So you could really run 30 amps of power off that one controller if you have a 30 amp circuit at your house to plug it into.  Since most people don't they will plug one side into one 15 amp circuit and the other side to another if they plan on loading up the lights  on that controller.  Of course you always want to make sure you leave yourself a safety margin in there and only use about 80% of the amps.  Now keep in mind just because you have 15 amps on side 1-8 there is a limit on how many amps you can have on each channel.  In other words you can not have 1 amp on channels 1-7 and load channel 8 up with 14 amps.  Seems like it is only 4or 5 amps max on each channel but read the manual.   Good Luck.

Thanks again everyone. I'm not sure if anyone saw my reply since it was in moderation and it's posted before 3 replies had already been posted to this thread. Hope no one minds if I repeat a couple of questions in that case.

What is a good transmitter and where can I buy one online? Are they pretty easy to setup?

Does the USB dongle come with the controller or the software or do I have to buy it separately?

Going by overeazy's post I'm assuming it's safe to plug one plug of the controller in via an extension cord?

What is a good transmitter and where can I buy one online? Are they pretty easy to setup?

I use EDM, now, a bit pricey for your first year. My first year, I used a cheap gas statioin xmitter and a boombox, it worked pretty good.

Does the USB dongle come with the controller or the software or do I have to buy it separately?

Separately, buy it in the starter kit, one recommendation is to get the booster version adapter.

Edited by bisquit476

Don yes you can use an extension cord to connect one side or both sides of your controller in.  I have some controllers that have 100' extension cords running to them and I have some controllers that get power from one side on one circuit and the other on another.  Using led lights makes it so much easier now to not have to worry as much about how much power each side is drawing.  Trying to figure out how to get 88000 mini lights going with out overloading any boxes, or circuits takes some time and can lead to lots of extra extension cords.  You think getting the controller is the big part but wait until you start needing extension cords.  Good Luck  

Trying to figure out how to get 88000 mini lights going with out overloading any boxes, or circuits takes some time and can lead to lots of extra extension cords. 

Kill-o-Watt...

In Kill-o-Watt we trust!

Definitely a must.

• Like 1