Light-O-Rama Forums

32 bit vs 64 bit

overeazy

Ok I purchased a new laptop to run my show on and noticed that it is a 32 bit operating system.  Can someone tell me if things will run fine on it and all the software will work or will I be better off with a 64 bit system?

thanks

Duane

It is astute of you to notice this. My laptop has a 64 bit operating system and I did not know it until later. Most 32 bit software will run on 64 bit operating systems. All my software runs fine.

Software written for a 64 bit operating system will not run on a 32 bit operating system. But all software out there has a 32 bit version because that's what most people still have. If you have a 64 bit operating system, it is best to get the 64 bit version of a program if they have one because it will run a little bit faster.

The way I think of it is that getting a 32 bit operating system is a little bit slower, but it is the safest, most compatible system. Its been around a long time and nearly all software out there is a 32 bit version. 32 bit is still the "default," that is when you buy software it will be 32 bit unless you specify otherwise.

A 64 bit operating system has the potential to be a little bit faster, but it also has the potential to not be 100% compatible with all 32 bit software.

Thanks that is all I needed to hear.  Now I can open the box and start playing with it.