Light-O-Rama Forums

Has anyone made a set of test lights?

zeighty

Hi Team LOR.    

I am contemplating creating a set of test lights, perhaps 3 or 4 bulbs per string. I have limited testing time and space. I don't want to have to drag out a 15' - 80' string (x 32) with which to test.

If you have experience, comments, ideas or how-tos, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. 

Thanks in advance for you responses.  

I'm guessing this is your first year.   Doing some testing with some different types of can help as the fade curves can vary and shimmer can look different between incandescent and LED.

For the most part though the animation window or the visualizer give a pretty accurate  depiction of what the display will look like.  All I've ever used is the animation window.

Plug lights into your controller; nothing like seeing them doing blinky flashy because YOU said it.

I hung a set of candy canes from a board on two "ELL" brackets shoved under books in a book case behind my desk.

Most people just plug a string of minis or LEDs into their controllers to play with them.  I've seen "how to's"mounting light sockets to a board, or even in a 4x4 matrix to do it.

Someone even built a model of his neighborhood with LEDs controlled by his setup - he was doing an 8-house display, and couldn't get it to work in the visualizer.

Visualizer, highly recommend using and getting to know the visualizer.  If you're looking for incandescent test bulbs, I suggest getting the C7 bulb on a its own string that's used to light the ceramic village figurines.  They sell them at Dollar Tree around Halloween through Christmas. They also come in handy if you need a snubber.

You can also get those individual lights that go in the bottom of blow molds. i picked up 16 a couple years ago, removed the metal clip thing, zip tied the cord to make it shorter. Works like a champ, all 16 are connected, just laying on the floor, blinking their little bulbs out.

I have a test string with two C9 sockets. I use it to test/repair strobes. I have lots of extra units for subs while I work on a bum strobe. Water is the biggest problem. Most just need to dry out.

For everything else, I rely on the visualizer and experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out a way to make test lights fairly inexpensively.  I purchase some candelabra sockets and put them thru the bottom of a box.  My first test at programming was just using 8 channels with an LOR800W.  I did it to the Addams family Theme. I have a lot of work to do on tweaking it but hey it's my first try at this.  I'm open to any suggestions from the experts. I now have 64 channels in my possesion including 1 - LOR800W, 1 - CMB24D (12v RGB card) and 2 CTB16PC's.  I hope to double this before Thanksgiving.  I hope to run a test at Halloween to see how my work goes.  I have downloaded several free sequences thanks to some of you guys in here.  I love watching your work. I;m sure many of those will guide my display as I see how time consuming this can be.  I spent just over 3 hours on this song and it's not very elaborate like the ones I've seen in here.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the feedback. It might have helped to know that I am using the visualizer and love it.

My goal was to see the actual controllers work and test all channels without having 32 strings of 35 lights laying on the floor.

The blow mold lights seem to be a good idea.

Need to go order more strings of LEDs.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the feedback. It might have helped to know that I am using the visualizer and love it.

My goal was to see the actual controllers work and test all channels without having 32 strings of 35 lights laying on the floor.

The blow mold lights seem to be a good idea.

Need to go order more strings of LEDs.

Thanks again

I did that my first year but was spending way too much time building miniature versions of my props, spent a couple of extra hours with the animation screen and visualizer and I go that route.

My first year I made a mini display in the back yard.

32 channels

Just bunched up light to represent the items.

Nothing like seeing the lights blink the way you planned.

Funny after the family got bored I still stood there and watched...

Funny after the family got bored I still stood there and watched...

I have a feeling this same thing is going to happen to me with my "real" display....

I do keep a set of 3 ft test strings around of all the RGB stuff (dump and smart) so I can check the color values. They are mostly connected to my backup controllers.

About 1 week prior to official launch I do test runs so I can adjust the sequences with the full display.

the animator and the visualizer are great tools, to give you an idea of what your display will look like when it's up and running.

However, the don't generate the feeling of control and awe that a set of test lights flashing to your whims do.  And that feeling is only superceded by seeing your actual display up and runing.

the animator and the visualizer are great tools, to give you an idea of what your display will look like when it's up and running.

However, the don't generate the feeling of control and awe that a set of test lights flashing to your whims do.  And that feeling is only superseded by seeing your actual display up and running.

don't disagree but I spent a month my first year building a "mini" version of my mega tree, was not able to reuse anything from it.