Light-O-Rama Forums

Who will I meet?

LORi P

I'm headed to The Ultimate Academy in Conroe, TX this weekend. Who else from the forum will be going?

Will be there Friday only this year ...unfortunately a family vaca got planned starting on Saturday!!!

See you there!

Anyone interested in meeting for lunch Friday before the Academy starts? It looks like there are many places to eat in Conroe.

i will be there. also Dave Pitts , who created the Pi Player and the Falcon=16 boards is flying in with me. he  lives in colo springs, i live near denver

I am definitely spoiled in that my commute to the Academy....from my front door to the door of the convention center...is about 10 mins, maybe 15 with traffic!   There are tons of good places to eat...main stream fare along I45 and some mom and pops off the freeway....I know some of the guys were planning an unoffical Thursday night gathering as well....they are discussing over on the LSH forums...

I am definitely spoiled in that my commute to the Academy....from my front door to the door of the convention center...is about 10 mins, maybe 15 with traffic!   There are tons of good places to eat...main stream fare along I45 and some mom and pops off the freeway....I know some of the guys were planning an unoffical Thursday night gathering as well....they are discussing over on the LSH forums...

76 miles each way for us.  a weekend of waking up early

A weekend of 2 mile commuting for me.... Sandwiched between two 723 mile drives. :P

Edited by LORi P

A weekend of 2 mile commuting for me.... Sandwiched between two 723 mile drives. :P

Any word on the Academy?

Attendance, education, demos, or ???

Hi Ken-

Sorry It has taken me so long to respond.. This was a crazy busy week at work.  The Academy was awesome! With the wide range of classes there is something foe everybody.,,, from first year newbies to seasoned DIYers. It's hard to take in everything you want to, but I gave it my best shot.  Some of the many classes I attended were: LOR Hardeare, LOR Visualizer, Photographing your display, Videoing your display, audio editing, video editing, transmitters, and several others.  I was really bummed that a 'quick' nap at lunch caused me to sleep through the soldering lab.  I have never soldered, and was looking forward to an introduction at the lab.... oh well, there is always next year!

My only previous exposure to fellow Christmas lights enthusiasts was on this forum and attending two mini's (SLAM). So this was definitely really cool.  And my awesome experience began before the Academy began.  How often do you get the opportunity to eat breakfast surrounded by people who are talking about megatrees, wireframes, and 2,000 channels of LOR (yes, regular LOR controllers, no RGB!)? It was way cool.

There were about 250 attendees and 12 or so vendor exhibits. It was nice to actually get to see and touch products that I normally only see pictures of.

One of the weirdest things there was how many people called L-O-R Lor (like fishing lure).  When you hear someone say "I've been using Lor for five years." My fist reaction was "huh?" Apparently there are different dialects of Christmas light lingo.  :lol:

Overall, I give it a two thumbs up!

LORi

One of the weirdest things there was how many people called L-O-R Lor (like fishing lure).  When you hear someone say "I've been using Lor for five years." My fist reaction was "huh?" Apparently there are different dialects of Christmas light lingo.  :lol:

LORi

You are using that in your name. Do you say Laur-eee or Lure-eye? Thanks for the recap on the Academy.

Good meeting you Lori.  I'm glad you had a good time.  Bob I think you were represented but correct me if I'm wrong: Zach and the crew from Kansas had led nametags taht they credited to you.  Very cool!

I posted this to Ken's question in another thread but it's worth sharing here as well:

As requested:  http://www.theultima...-academy-recap/

You may also enjoy these:

And BTW- I say L-O-R as well, not "Lor".  But to each their own!

Edited by Ryan Johnson

Ryan,  you are correct.  The name tags as Zach and crew did come from SLAM (St Louis Area Mini) 2012.  I brought mine, too, but the battery was dead, so I left it at the hotel.  :(

Bob, to most of the world I am Lori (lure-eee).  But to my close friends and family, when it comes to anything to do with Christmas lights, I am L-O-R .....ahahi    ;) 

This is one of the events I am debating on attending next year...  as a first time vendor. (Very exciting) Gotta start off with the Rainy Trees somewhere.  Also working on some other fun things...  Gotta work out details first. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

I forgot.... the BEST thing about the Academy was that it gave me the kick in the pants I needed to seriously get going on this year's display.....  :)

• The topic was locked