Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting controller to brick

robigd

I am enclosing my CCB controllers in the CableGuard CG-2000 enclosures and in order to do two window outlines with the same controller I need the controller placed between the two windows.

I have a brick house and was wondering if anybody knew the best way to mount a controller to a brick wall without causing permanent damage.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

My personal preference?  Mount them to a piece of 1x8 or 2x8 wood and put them on a t-type fence post which goes into the ground, and not even think about mounting them to the brick.

You might try some type of adhesive caulk that can handle the temperatures you're expecting.  Other than that, I can't think of anything that doesn't involve drilling the brick, or the mortar between the bricks.

Can you hang them from the window sill?  Maybe again, some type of backing attached to canvas or something that is run into or through the window, maybe weighted or secured on the inside to keep it from sliding back out?  Canvas or some other cloth so that you can close the window. 

Just thinking off the top of my head.  I still prefer using the wood backing screwed to fence posts into the ground.  Something like this. http://www.lowes.com/pd_42647-16418-090033_0__?productId=3800743&Ntt=green+metal+u-post&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgreen%2Bmetal%2Bu-post&facetInfo=

My personal preference?  Mount them to a piece of 1x8 or 2x8 wood and put them on a t-type fence post which goes into the ground, and not even think about mounting them to the brick.

You might try some type of adhesive caulk that can handle the temperatures you're expecting.  Other than that, I can't think of anything that doesn't involve drilling the brick, or the mortar between the bricks.

Can you hang them from the window sill?  Maybe again, some type of backing attached to canvas or something that is run into or through the window, maybe weighted or secured on the inside to keep it from sliding back out?  Canvas or some other cloth so that you can close the window. 

Just thinking off the top of my head.  I still prefer using the wood backing screwed to fence posts into the ground.  Something like this. http://www.lowes.com/pd_42647-16418-090033_0__?productId=3800743&Ntt=green+metal+u-post&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgreen%2Bmetal%2Bu-post&facetInfo=

I love the idea of the fence posts. Never even thought about that! Seems like the best way to accomplish this and still stay married in the process.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yup.  I use over a dozen of those fence posts for varied reasons in my display.  Controller mounts, some prop hold-ups, and a tall one with a 10' 3" PVC pipe slid over it as the pole for a mega-tree.  I do remove them from the controller backing boards for storage, though.  Easy enough to do.

In theory, brick is just the weather face of a house, and is not the waterproof layer.  I'm not bashful about drilling into brick for tapcons, as the holes do a really good job of disappearing between seasons.  Just be careful not to break one off, and try not to strip them out.

I've used C clamps on the outside rafters or facia boards to clamp a 2x2 that's attached to a controller.

For most set-ups, mine included, Jack S has the way to go.   I have most of my controllers mounted on painted plywood (1/2" & 5/8") boards.   Its an easy job to pound in the "V" fence post then drive a couple heavy screws through the post and into the back of the plywood mounting board.  (Screw guns very handy for this!!) 

A tip for those who are making the mounting boards for the first time-  make an angle cut at the top of the mounting board so rain water will run off and not pool. Fill any open areas in the ply's before painting.  At the end of the season it's very easy to un-screw from the post.  Don't forget to fill-in any screw holes to lessen the chance for water getting in and swell the board.

Ken- I use your 'C-clamp" trick for 2 controllers on the roof.  Nice and clean- off and on.  I do add wood shims under the clamps so as not to mar the fascia board.

Enjoy

In theory, brick is just the weather face of a house, and is not the waterproof layer.  I'm not bashful about drilling into brick for tapcons, as the holes do a really good job of disappearing between seasons.  Just be careful not to break one off, and try not to strip them out.

I do agree with you that it is not the water proof layer but I do not like leaving open holes in my brick for bugs to get in. I am not a big fan of Tapcons!!! Just for the reason like you described above. Here is a great and cheep way to fasten stuff into brick or concrete also keeping water and bugs out.  Drill your hole, I use a 1/4" or so,  then take a ceader  shim use the larger side cut a rip about 3/8" all the way down the shim. Now you should have a 3/8"x3/8" square that is long and tappers down to nothing. Cut the pc. so its about 5" long take a knife and make it round some what. make sure when you start it in the hole in the brick that it starts tight beat it in with a hammer sould get super tight as it gos in. Now you can use a regular wood screw. When you take the screw out the will swell shut in time. Sounds like a lot but it is very easy and works well ! WHO SAID A SQUARE BLOCK COULD NOT GO INTO A ROUND HOLE!!! LOL