Light-O-Rama Forums

Discrete LED lamps

a31ford

Greetings all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a certain type of LED that is quite bright, and cheap, for making a "tune your radio to" sign, as well as some other signs.

voltage, tri-color, current are "who cares" I can deal with whatever, but a large package (T3 ? or better) would be nice.

I'm talking seperate lamps (two wire through hole, old school discrete LED's)

I would like to also consider building some solid background wireframes of houses and such (santa's village in the background).

My canvas (front yard) is quite big, (600' w and 400' deep) and you can NOT see the house from the road, I want to use Santa's village as the "backdrop" for the rest of the show in front of it.

Greg Manning

Ebay is great for buying leds of all types.  I've used a number of vendors and have good luck.  Some vendors have their store organized by type, size and output.  shop around, when you have some picked out, post or PM me if you want additional thoughts.

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply, T1-3/4 LEDs are much like the status LED in the LOR controllers, I'm looking for something along the lines of a T3 (about the size of the end of a "slim jim pepperoni")

The signs I want to make are about 3' x 5' (road is about 300 feet from display), and I want to "keep my distance" from it (vandals and thieves).

In total I'm looking for about 1000 lamps, these are NOT part of the show,  rather the precursor to it.

Motion Sensor picks up car moving into area (1 each from L and R side of frontage, distanced from area, so as car drives by, signs are first to trigger on).

1st sign to light up) > " tune your radio to XX.X to listen to lightshow" after brief "ON", fades down and 2nd sign (closer to display) lights up >

2nd sign ) > " Show starts in 10, 9, 8, 7, etc. count down (sign has internal electronics).

3rd sign ) > Is a "talking santa" (mouth is LOR'ed to speaking in MP3), Santa is "In amongst" the display (hollow wire frame)

"show starts".............

Santa is Red & White rope LED's with speaking part as a small chunk of rope being run from LOR channel, small relay in 2nd channel moves between 2 sections of mouth rope to appear to be talking... (A/B switching through relay) sant's mouth is powered from main channel, 2nd channel triggers between a and b portions of mouth.

You have to remember Santa is about 350 feet from the car.........

Greg

Edited by a31ford

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this thread, been very busy lately and was out of town for a two week training course.  Here in the States the leds you are referring to I believe are these: http://stores.ebay.com/TopBright-Led-Store/8mm-1W-140-High-Power-Led-/_i.html?_fsub=19650616&_sid=190959565&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

These will be plenty bright with a wide light spread and should do very well for you.