Light-O-Rama Forums

Does LOR Software require Internet after registration?

boborino

I've noticed an issue that occurs occasionally.  I have a fully registered advanced version (currently the 3.10.2 beta) on my system.  This weekend I went to a cabin with no Internet.  Was going to work on my RGB sequences.  When I started LOR, it said I wasn't registered!  Tried a bunch of stuff, but obviously couldn't re-enter my registration info because I had no Internet.  Today when I was at home and connected to the Internet, I started the sequence editor...but it didn't give me any error. 

This leads me to believe that LOR 'checks in' occasionally?  I hope not, my show computer won't be connected to my home network because I'll be using E1.31 and using my network port.  Is this just a function of the beta version, or does this happen with all versions?  Why would it need Internet access after it's already been registered?

Edited by boborino

I've used it several times without a internet connection with no problems, 3.9 advanced that is! It maybe a bug in the Beta software. You may want to post it in that section of the forums. You may have found a bug!

No, LOR does not require access to the internet except to activate your license (and strictly speaking, internet access is optional even then - you can activate offline).  I suspect that what happened here is this:

When you activate your license, LOR somehow associates that license with the computer you're using to do the activation.  When you later start up LOR, it sees your license, and checks the computer that you're using (it does these things without using the internet).  If the computer you're using doesn't seem to match the computer you used to do the activation, then it considers you not to be registered (with the current computer).

So, the question is, why did it think the computer you were using was not the computer you used to activate the license? Well, unfortunately, there's no way to ask Windows "Please give me a unique, perfect, and reproducable identification for the current computer".  Instead, figuring out what computer you're using is kind of a black art rather than a science.  So, in (hopefully) rare cases, something might change about the computer, and be enough for LOR to think that it's actually a different computer.  I think you got hit by that sort of thing.

Hmmm... odd.. Well, I'll try doing things with it offline and online.  It's the same laptop I always use for my sequencing.  I have one I use for work that I take back and forth and do most of my sequencing on.  I have a separate laptop for my show computer.    This is also the same computer you helped me with the other day that was having save issues that was fixed with 3.10.2 beta. I'll try to do some detailed testing and let you know my findings.  Thanks for responding.