Light-O-Rama Forums

Led rope light

dan martens

I have made one talking face this year. I tried led rope and every section has a burnt out 30 inchpiece

I havent even run a sequence on it

What ledrope is most durable. I blown a wholerole of the one 1 face

The corners are not bent to far

Most the sections are failing as im trying to twist the rope to line up the led

Any help?

Dan when using led rope light 1/2'' plug it in for about 10 minutes or so until it gets warm leave it on while bending it make gradual bends not sharp ones also try using 3/8'' rope light better to work with

Dan try this site www.Christmas-Leds.com they have everything you need never dealt with them just go to the top of the main forum type in rope lights you will find your answer also look for a fellow by the name of Cracker [ Kevin ] he just posted on lor forums he started all this rope light stuff talk to him also, good guy has his own site and go to Halloween at the bottom type in Cracker or Kevin you will get your answer and more

check these out ------------

www.CreativeLightingDisplays.com

www.store.CreativeLightingDisplays.com

Edited by sysco

Dan, I take notice you say you're using LED rope light.....I will assume you know it can only be cut every 30" or so,

and only where it's indicated on the rope light itself.  I use 3/8 incan rope lights, but if i recall the LED rope

light is supposed to be bent only along a single plane....(e.g. left/right ok, up/down bad).

Something to do with the way the LEDs are connected to each other.......read the paperwork

that came with the roll and see if it mentions something about proper bending.....food for thought.

Good luck! D

I bought my 3/8" LED ropelight from christmas-leds.  She has ropelight that can be cut every 20".  I received 3 power cords per roll of ropelight but you can also make your own power cables from SPT wire (which she also sells). The ordering was simple, I was emailed my confirmation quickly and the rolls of lights came quicker than quoted.  For anyone that is thinking of purchasing these items off the web this is the best review I can give:  She has the product I need in stock....Competitive price....Ordering was simple....Product shipped earlier than quoted.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

I bought my faces from Doug.  He can re-size any of the frames he has on his website or do custom frames from your pictures.  Great guy and his frames are top notch.  I had some custom work done and we were in constant communication.  The completed product is exactly as we discussed and far beyond what I had envisioned.  Of course, those frames will be the central focus of my display for many years to come. 

Being this is my first year and my first display (Halloween display) I can't comment on other providers but these 2 met all my needs.  I highly recommend them.

Now back to sequencing.

Thanks guys i ll look into the vendors i want to make 2 but the extra 250 dollars into the first sign is putting a damper on things

I noticed that you said that you twisted it so to align the LEDS. Worse thing you can do is to align it so that the two wires are at the bottom and then bending with those wires in the same plane. You want those wires to be vertical to horz. bends. Thus the wires do not grow or shrink in relationship to the other wire. If one wire grows or shrinks compared to the other. Then the wires going to the first and last LED in the section. Can cause the LED lead to break away from the power wires. Heck I dont know what the bend radius needs to be. But with LED is it much tighter than Ican lamps. The lamps are prone to break.

Wonder, where did you get these LED rope lights from? CDI got a bad batch and Paul offered to refund people for their rope lights (LED). He never was happy with the quality of the vendor and dropped offering LED rope lights. Also some people do not realize that even if the supply probes make contact with the two wires. If you plug the supply into the wrong end. The polarity will be wrong and they will still not light up. I am an electronics tech and forgot about that for a few minuted till it dawned on me to try the other end. TA-DA, worked like a champ when I tried the other end.

I did the same with wrong end but figured that out i lit the lites up at night and found that i had bright and dull area so i noticed if i line up the led they were brighter through out

Im looking for reciept from where i made purchase camt remeber name but found them here off a post

Im pushing the capabilities of the rope so i dont want to say its bad product