Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 controlling Third Party DMX Software ?

TravisP

Has any one used S3 to control a third party DMX Software the same way S3 can communicate and control Madrix ?

For example DMX Software Chauvet's ShowXpress, Blizzard Lighting's Eclipse DMX Lighting Software ?

I want to be able to use S3 as the timeline and run the show.

What does the other software offer that the LOR does not?

If it's on the same network, you can use sub-sequences that can be triggered whenever you want that do whatever effects you might need.

What does the other software offer that the LOR does not?

If it's on the same network, you can use sub-sequences that can be triggered whenever you want that do whatever effects you might need.

Ken,

My son and I are looking into starting a father/son DJ business.

we are looking at ordering 8 American DJ Vizi Spot LED.

I have looked at at many different DJ lighting software to possibly use and I thought since we are looking into that it would be nice to use that same software for our Christmas display as well, but all the software I have looked at do not have a show builder / scheduler so it can play on a loop as most of the Christmas community uses for our displays.

So that's where I came up with the thought of the way LOR communicates with Madrix, why cant LOR communicate with other DJ Lighting software so I can use the LOR show builder and scheduler ?

Here is a response I got on another forum :

Travis -

I see you asking about using S3 to control DMX software; I think you actually mean DMX devices from the context.

The short answer, is "yes" but you would have to run multiple networks. You can't run LOR protocol and DMX protocol over the same set of wires.

An idmx1000 is a cheat on that last statement; it looks like a single 512 channel LOR controller to the software (even S2 or S1) but talks DMX out its other side.

To run DMX from S3, you'd go into "Edit"->"Preferences"->"Network Preferences" where you can set the software for up to 16 LOR USB interfaces (16 LOR networks), 16 DMX USB-based dongles, and multiple e1.31 devices over Ethernet.

On the LOR sequencing grid, a channel is a channel is a channel. It doesn't care if it's LOR or DMX; you can copy/paste between them, even the RGB channel configs.

Edited by TravisP

If you're trying to use the lights for both the DJ business and Holiday displays, the answer is a qualified yes.

You can use the DJ software to control the lights, but very few have a timer start/stop option

(I have used the ShowXpress and own the Eclipse DMX software; both are very good)

Those lights can be used by S3 by using either the iDMX1000 ($260) or a separate DMX network ($60 or $55).

S3 can control moving lights much more precisely than the DJ software can, but it may take a little longer to program.

You can then use all of the LOR tools to schedule your shows.

LOR is rumored to announce another DMX controller, but at a lower price.

But trying to have S3 control other third party software (other than Madrix) is more work than it's worth, IMHO.

Madrix works only because it can receive incoming DMX and make itself look like a lighting controller.

The DJ software does not and you'd have to build/buy a GUI interface to make incoming DMX look like a mouse click.

Besides, the DJ programming you setup in other software will probably be different for your yard because of the layout.

Are you trying to save money by not buying the Advanced version of S3, or just trying to re-use the lights for the holidays?

If trying to use the lights, keep in mind that your DJ business might need those very same lights for a holiday gig.

Whadda ya gonna do?

Edited by Ken Benedict

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I have similar questions about DJ lighting. I want to control DMX lighting via LOR S3, which I know it van do, but what I am not visualizing is being able to do lighting commands on the fly. I well known DJ in these parts wants to expand into more interactive lighting and I partner with him. So I want to have some songs sequenced in advance. Sopmetime I just want lights dancing as in club atmosphere. Sometime I may need to change colors etc., as the event moves on. I will want to spot light a speaker on the mic etc. Can LOR do all or some of these things? I thought maybe LOR S3 could do the sequenced songs, but then seemlessly switch to other software or lighting controller to do other things on the fly. Any Help/Comments appreciated.

Your DJ friend should have software that can do all of that and more.

Several chases can be setup in advance and using a Tap Sync button, go with the beat of the music; three taps and you're good to go.

LOR S3 can also be setup as an animation-only sequence (no music) to create looks for the lights also, just maybe not to the beat of the music.

Build several sequences in advance and run them from your laptop from the S3 editor.

You can even run both on the same DMX system with a device known as a DMX Merger.

I just use a USB - RJ45 Serial Adapter cat 5 cable pinned out to a DMX cable and it works fine.    As far as running the DJ equipment on a DJ event/ party I wouldn't even try unless you are going to run the same show at every event. 

I'm using the Chauvet COLORpalette for floods on the house.         

https://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/pdf/UnderstandingDMX.pdf

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/20771-using-lor-dongle-with-dmx/