Light-O-Rama Forums

Expanding My Arches

jim6918

I have had two 8 channel arches (16 channels on a single controller) in my display since the beginning and due to some landscaping changes want to add two more 8 channel arches in-line (end to end) with the
first 8.  I am thinking of some way to use the same 16 channels to get the new arches to mirror, not duplicate the
original set.  I was thinking of just running jumper extensions from the first arch to the second but reverse the
order something like:

1 to 16

2 to 15

3 to 14

4 to 13

Etc.

I know this is the lazy way to do it, but just don’t have the ambition to rework 23 sequences to add new arch timings. 

Has anybody done this, or is there a different way to add arch channels?

Guest Don Gillespie

Jim this is how I do it, if you have the yard then go ahead and run extension cords, more lights more wow factor.

I run mine

1-1

1-2 ect ect I have three seven channel arches after I am done I end up with 6 seven channel arches 4200 lights

I have 4, 4 channel arches on 1 16 channel controller.  No one other than us in the lighting community will ever notice that you only have 4 channel arches.....and no one will probably care.  Drew at Holiday Technologies has seen my display live and commented that he never figured using 4 channel arches would work as good as they do.

You could easily test and see for yourself that they will look just fine by plugging 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8 into 1,2,3,4.  I bet you will be surprised.

For what it is worth, I used two fire sticks last year of 5 channels.  I was limited on controllers, so I was going to duplicate the sides by splitting the controller output, one to both sides.  In my setting up of the sticks, I managed to reverse the order of the sections and had them mirroring instead and it looked very neat, even with fire sticks.  So I had this..

Left       Right

1           5

2           4

3           3

4           2

5           1

Worked like a charm.  So what you are asking is absolutely viable and should look pretty good.