Light-O-Rama Forums

Simple effect?

bobschm

I'm having some difficulty programming what I think should be simple effects.

For example, a typical test sequence consists of a 50% lit string with a fully lit pixel group of the same color traveling along the string. I've exhausted my ideas for getting this accomplished in LOR or SuperStar.

I can light the string to 50%, but everything I try to send a highlight erases the background or recolors the highlight or both.

What am I missing?

As you point out, in SuperStar you can add multiple effects on the same pixels. This is what I call a "channel collision." When a channel collision occurs the program must decide which channel command will take priority. Currently, it is coded to keep the command with the longest time length. Each pixel is composed of 3 channels, a channel for Red, a channel for Green and a Channel for Blue. So a channel collision only occurs when two effects both have red in them, or both have green in them, or both have blue in them. When they do, the command with the longest time length takes priority. In most of my sequences this ends up doing what I want most of the time.

What would allow more flexibility is for the priority to depend on the the layer in the "time layers." Then you can control which effect takes priority by placing it in a different time layer. But currently the layer that an effect is will not change its priority when playing. So changing the layer does not change how it plays. I have plans to put that feature in but I can't promise when it will be in. I would love to have it in by August, but it may not be until next year.

That will be a huge plus when that is implemented. Guess I better forego the effect for now.

• 1 year later...

Hi Brian,

Learning Superstar and doing some roof line chases red over white, then green over red and so on. The layer effect you're referencing would make it much easier. Any chance of that happening in the near future?

Thanks

Mike