Light-O-Rama Forums

LED stars and snowflakes

MRGRINCH12

Does anyone have a good source for small (12" to 16") individual stars or snowflakes  that won't break the bank?

I sell some 7 inch stars that you add your own pixel to... www.rgbstars.com.. I have a new model coming out soon that will have the pixel already in it. Should be ready in a couple of weeks..

Daryl

I like the stars! Are u using dumb nodes in them and how many. Also how are they mounted. Just looking for a little more detail. I couldn't find the information on your web site.

Thanks,

Larry

We used a WS2801IC (6 5050 led) round pixel. You can use any type of pixel that you want as long as it produces enough light, I would suggest no less than 3 but I think that was a little too dim.  
You will need a set of pigtails for whatever type of cabling you use in your display.

Sorry about not having a picture on the website.. We are awaiting our first batch of premade ones from our supplier. Up to now, we were just selling the enclosures themselves. Once we have the batch, we will update the website and have more pictures and information.

Daryl:

Any pricing on the one's with pixels? Also how do u mount them to a wall?

Larry

If all goes well, we should be selling them with a pixel for $10 each. We used double sided tape for 30 of them and had no problem with them or removing the tape afterwards. We also had 140 of them hung on chicken wire. Each star has 5 nail holes if you want to nail them even. We used chicken wire and at the end of the show literally rolled them up and put them away for next year.

I will try to add some pics in a little bit of how we mounted them.

Sounds like something i could be interested in .........Please keep us informed as you progres

• 2 weeks later...

Our first batch of pre-assembled stars have finally come in.. They are selling for $10 for a completely assembled star. One minor glitch of our first order though is that they set the pixel for RBG instead of RGB. But with most hardware controllers can be set to rearrange the order so it is not a big deal for more people. Our next batch will be set correctly to RGB.

http://rgbstars.com/store/product/1-assembled-enclosed-star/

Just a reminder... I am just selling these at cost.. I have to buy a certain number per batch and I cannot use all of them each year...

If your looking for a wireframe to use. I just posted a 12" star on my site the other day. I can do 16" as well. I offer a 36" snowflake, but i could make a smaller one as well.

Daryl,

I noticed the stars with the pixels in them have 6 5050's in them. Does this mean that in the sequencing software you will be using 6 pixels per star?

Thanks, Larry

Each star is 1 WS2801 Pixel. The 6 5050's is the amount of light it will output per pixel. See here for a pic of a similar pixel I use in the stars.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Promotion-30mm-diameter-WS2801-pixel-module-1-44W-6pcs-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-DC12V-input/701799_718943748.html

You can have as many LEDs as you want per pixel controlled but of course it takes more power to run it but you get a much brighter pixel.

So for example.. The pixel here... http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100nodes-DC12V-WS2811-LED-technicolor-pixel/701799_922162404.html

is 1 LED per WS2801 chip, so it is 1/6 the brightness of the type I use in my stars.

The reason I use 6 5050's is that with the milky white covering, you have to overcome the light loss the material causes.