Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Mega Tree drawing in Visualizer

gso125

I have been trying to set up a RGB mega tree and  play it in the Visualizer. I have tried all the options when making the tree  but it will always turns on the whole string no matter what I do in the sequencer. If I just turn on one pixel in the seq or all in that universe that string goes on I have been trying to play nut cracker sequences and they would not show correctly so I must be doing something wrong but for the life of me cant figure it out. I then started  doing the seq the standard way and noticed this. I have 12 dmx universes with 100 rgb pixels 300 channels. All seems correct but cant get it to work right. Thanks Gerry

Edited by gso125

If you're using Cosmic Color Devices, you select CCR Edge to Center, Center to Edge, etc. If you're setting them up as strings Then it won't work as RGB. Now, if you're using Non-LOR equipment and pixels, there are 3 ways to do it. One, use this utility http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26528-rgb-pixel-utility/ (Post # 12).

Two, use CCRs and set up 2 different channel configs, one with the CCR channels and one with the DMX channels.

And the third, draw each individual pixel for one string, create a prop for the first string. Remember, if your controllers are at the bottom, you need to work up from the bottom. Now in the wizards tab, run the Rename Wizard and name it something like "PixelTree Leg 01" The wizard will name all pixels that and also tack on a # for each pixel to represent which position it's in. Copy that string, maneuver it how you need it and run the rename wizard again, but this time name it of course leg 02. Once you have all legs in your tree, Then go back and run the Channel Wizard on each leg.

Now, there is a fourth way, You can send me the info for your tree, ie. how many legs, How many pixels per leg and how you want it oriented Flat 180 degree, Half circle 180 degree or round 360 degree. Also send the universe numbers and which starts where and I'll create one for you and send it back. You just have to create your channel config in the Sequence Editor.

You do have the Advanced version of the software, right? 

You said you had 12 DMX Universes and 100 RGB Pixels. Each universe is 170 pixels.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to create it for you. 

Hi Ron

My real world Mega Tree is going to be run off 12 universes of 150 non-lor pixels that will be 36string x 50pixel tree

I used the pixel tool and made a 12x 50 tree that gives me a good Idea of how its going to play it would not let me make one any bigger that would work. As long as the real tree works from my sequence a smaller visualizer tree should be OK. I will be able to tell once I get it all up and running. If you want to create a pixel  tree closer to the size im making great but if it takes to long the pixel tool one should work for me. Ill PM you my email Thanks again Gerry

Check your e-mail. I sent a 32 x 50 CCR tree. The unfortunate thing about the Visualizer is,and this is straight out of the manual:

The Light-O-Rama Visualizer imposes the

following limits on your visualizations:

Editor

· Maximum size of a simulation:
2500x2500 pixels. However, it may be further limited based on your computer's
specifications.

· Total number of fixtures:

· Total number of props:

· Total number of bulbs/vertices per fixture:

· Maximum number of loaded channel
references:
10,000 normal plus 10,000 RGB

Simulation

· Maximum number of virtual channels:
Unlimited, but only the first 255 will be
simulated.

· Maximum number of fixtures per channel:
Unlimited, but only the first 16 fixtures will be
simulated.
· Device types and unit IDs: This
depends upon your license's feature level. Please refer to the feature comparison chart to check whether your
device type or unit ID is supported by your feature level. Note: The demo version of the Visualizer counts
as Basic with respect to this.

So, even if I build one with that many pixels, if I understand correctly, It will only run 1024 in the simulation Your tree is 1800. I would suggest, as in my first post and email, is to just use a 32 string CCR. Yes, you will have to do a second Channel config but it will give you the best representation and you can see it with all the rest of your channels in the visualizer. The CCR tree is only 32 fixtures and by your signature, another 48 channels. 

Ron Thank you for the help if you could re-send that file it didn't work and that 32 should be more than enough for my use. Thanks again Gerry

• 2 months later...

Now, there is a fourth way, You can send me the info for your tree, ie. how many legs, How many pixels per leg and how you want it oriented Flat 180 degree, Half circle 180 degree or round 360 degree. Also send the universe numbers and which starts where and I'll create one for you and send it back. You just have to create your channel config in the Sequence Editor.

Hi Ron, was wondering if you would you be able assist me in setting up my non ccr pixel tree in the visualizer. I'm using 16 strings with 50 pixels per string in a round 180 degree set-up. Starting Universe 5 through 9 with 510 channels per universe. Last channel universe 9 channel 360. 2400 channels in total.

I tried the pixel utility without success. Thanks Rob

• Like 1

Hi Ron, This is my second year with a pixel tree (non-CCR).  I am using 6 RGB strips to create 12 legs (Starting from the left side of the 180 tree, Strip 1 starts from the ground up then comes back down as the second leg.  The 3 and 4 leg are the same up/down through 6 strips creating 12 legs.

I am using universe 1 for strips 1, 2, and 3 - universe 2 for strips 4, 5, and 6. Strip 1 = 1.1.1-50, Strip 2 = 1.1.51-100, Strip 3 = 1.1.101-150, Strip 4 = 2.1.1-50, Strip 5 = 2.1.51-100, Strip 6 = 2.1.101-150.

Do you possibly have a template to work from?

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated!

Hi Ron, This is my second year with a pixel tree (non-CCR).  I am using 6 RGB strips to create 12 legs (Starting from the left side of the 180 tree, Strip 1 starts from the ground up then comes back down as the second leg.  The 3 and 4 leg are the same up/down through 6 strips creating 12 legs.

I am using universe 1 for strips 1, 2, and 3 - universe 2 for strips 4, 5, and 6. Strip 1 = 1.1.1-50, Strip 2 = 1.1.51-100, Strip 3 = 1.1.101-150, Strip 4 = 2.1.1-50, Strip 5 = 2.1.51-100, Strip 6 = 2.1.101-150.

Do you possibly have a template to work from?

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated!

Are the strips 50 pixels, 25 up and 25 down, 100 pixels or is it 50 up and 50 down? Would the channels would be 1-75 up and 76-150 down or 1-150 up and 151-300 down? I assume the latter. What I need to know is, Number of pixels per leg, 25pixels x 12legs or 50pixels x 12legs. If you don't use CCRs for the visualization and you have 12 legs of 50 pixels, you'll already be over halfway for you're visualization fixture limit, ie 600 fixtures of 1024 limit. Not much room for anything else.  

Are the strips 50 pixels, 25 up and 25 down, 100 pixels or is it 50 up and 50 down? Would the channels would be 1-75 up and 76-150 down or 1-150 up and 151-300 down? I assume the latter. What I need to know is, Number of pixels per leg, 25pixels x 12legs or 50pixels x 12legs. If you don't use CCRs for the visualization and you have 12 legs of 50 pixels, you'll already be over halfway for you're visualization fixture limit, ie 600 fixtures of 1024 limit. Not much room for anything else.  

Thanks Ron, I am 25 up and 25 down, 6 legs of 50 pixel (I am cheating by sequencing in groups of 3's).

Thanks Ron, I am 25 up and 25 down, 6 legs of 50 pixel (I am cheating by sequencing in groups of 3's).

See if this will work

It's already set-up to run in Superstar if you're using that. Channel config is an Exported test file from Superstar.

Edited by Ron Boyd

• 4 weeks later...

Ron,

Can you help me out - I am creating a 24 string, 50 pixel, 360 degree mega tree, controllers at the bottom. The strings are just one straight line, not folding them in half.

I hit the 1024 fixture limit on string #20 and now I can't create any more strings/fixtures.

Thanks

Craig

The only way to do that and stay under the fixture limit is to use CCRSfor the tree. That means you'll have 2sets of channels in your pixel tree track. After sequence is done, and tweaked to your liking, cut and paste the black (RGB) channels only to your DMX channel config. The Macro channels will throw your colors off. Now, when you create the CCRs, you can degroup each one, delete the macro channels and then group the legs CCRs together again. Im not at my pc right now, but I can set one up in a couple of minutes if you like to show you what I mean

Edited by Ron Boyd

Ron, if you don't mind I would appreciate a sample. How would I use this with SuperStar? I am trying to use SuperStar to create the effects for the mega tree.

thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much!

Craig

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I am trying to do the steps indicated. My problem is have a license for only 2 CCRs. How do I create the visualization and create effects in superstar for a pixel tree with 25 pixels by 32 strings. upgrading the license doesn't make sense as I am not using CCRs. Or should I drop my LOR license and just go to nutcracker and vixen?

John

I order for you to export from superstar your license must be upgraded. A 25x32 pixel tree will be 2400 channels. Your 2 ccr license only supports 300 channels.

If you use something like nutcracker then you can export from there and copy and past into the sequence editor.

• 8 months later...

Hi Ron, was wondering if you would you be able assist me in setting up my non ccr pixel tree in the visualizer. I'm using 16 strings with 50 pixels per string in a round 180 degree set-up. Starting Universe 5 through 9 with 510 channels per universe. Last channel universe 9 channel 360. 2400 channels in total.

I tried the pixel utility without success. Thanks Rob

Ron can you help here. I am struggling with getting my tree in the LOR visualiser. I have a 16 strand mega tree each strand having 50 nodes so that is 150 channels per string X 16 strings = 2400 channels. My channel count starts at Universe 2 channel 1 and goes on till Universe 6 channel 100.(I am using 510 channels per universe). The strand of my tree goes to the top and then comes down on the opposite side - so each strand folds once over to the opposite side. Email ranjanpa@hotmail.com. This will be very much appreciated