Light-O-Rama Forums

smart rgb strips

jck46

wondering what is a good smart strip to buy wanting to play with rgbs and want smart strips

wondering what is a good smart strip to buy wanting to play with rgbs and want smart strips

I use the WS2811 strips. The price is right and most pixel controllers support it. It also comes in both,5 and 12 volt.

I use the WS2811 strips. The price is right and most pixel controllers support it. It also comes in both,5 and 12 volt.

What he said

2811 is the best valued strip out there and comes in a variety of options

30LED/m 12vdc

48LED/m 12vdc

60LED/M 5vdc

64LED/m 5vdc

black or white PCB

So a bit of choice there. I have used mainly the 30LED/m 12vdc strip as i have found that to be by far the best bang for the buck and being 12vdc then there is less voltage drop issues to contend with.

The 3 leds per pixel is what bothers me. The TM1809 strips can run at 1 led per pixel. 12volt and 3-wire like the ws2811

I have 2811 waterproof 30LED/m 12vdc with 1 IC per 3 leds which will use less channels than 1 IC per led. It all depends on how fine of a resolution you need for your purpose

Edited by kryolla

The 3 leds per pixel is what bothers me. The TM1809 strips can run at 1 led per pixel. 12volt and 3-wire like the ws2811

I ave found that the 3 led/pixel is far easier to manage in software and its also easier to create animations for and from the street where the audience is the 3 LED/pixel strip works well as the individual pixel starts to get lost at that distance,

Edited by edvas69

I'm just starting out with our first animated display this year.  We will have a mix of LOR AC controlled lighting, LOR controlled DC dumb LED Pixel strips, and E1.31 protocol smart LED pixels.    I tested a few different types of smart chips, and it seemed like the 12VDC 2811 series strips were the clear choice for simplicity, cost, and reliability.  In sample testing, I found the 3 LEDs per pixel arrangement was more than enough resolution for our tastes.  

Arguably more important than the chip type question is the IP (Intrusion Protection) rating.  I have both IP67 and IP68 in our line-up this year. 

My favorite strips have not only the external sleeve for water protection, but are also filled with some type of UV protected silicone.  The strips appear embedded or bathed in the wet material during manufacturing rather than just having the circuit strip slipped into a hollow square silicone channel which would intuitively draw moisture.    

I'm planning to leave a few of those robustly weatherproofed strips permanently mounted to the house after the holidays just to see how they do over time. I've heard some guys have already had them up for as many as 3 years without incident.   If my vendor's offerings do well in my tests, I sure could save myself some ladder time and easily start branching out into the other spring and summer holidays without much work.

Has anyone tries the 2811 with the LOR CCR controller? OR is there a dmx controller that will give me the same effect?

Has anyone tries the 2811 with the LOR CCR controller? OR is there a dmx controller that will give me the same effect?

The CCR controller works with 6803 pixels and not with the 2811 pixels