Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with connections...

Stu

I think we need a little more info.  Are you building a kit from scratch or going to use a prebuilt controller?

If you are using say a ctb16 PC with the cords lot provides then you would just plug the lights into the controller pretty simple

Are you trying to connect some of your house light like a front porch light to your controller?

This might be a bit tricky since house wiring is a whole different topic. Depending on how your house is wired, you might be able to connect to the wiring in the switch turning on the light you want to control.

I have to advise against something like this. It can get pretty dangerous, especially without a good electrical knowledge and it is certainly a code violation.

LOR does support the X10 home automation protocol so you could get a X10 switch for your porch light and control it using LOR.

I have once used LOR as vacation light system, however I ended up using mobile lamps...

Are you trying to connect some of your house light like a front porch light to your controller?

This might be a bit tricky since house wiring is a whole different topic. Depending on how your house is wired, you might be able to connect to the wiring in the switch turning on the light you want to control.

I have to advise against something like this. It can get pretty dangerous, especially without a good electrical knowledge and it is certainly a code violation.

LOR does support the X10 home automation protocol so you could get a X10 switch for your porch light and control it using LOR.

I have once used LOR as vacation light system, however I ended up using mobile lamps...

Would it actually be a code violation if you removed the porch light switch and went directly to the porch light fixture?   That is you have done away with any other electrical connections to a porch light on your house and capped off the power wires that were originally there taking them completely out of the circuit.

Don't know why someone would want to do that, but if they did, I'm just curious if it would still be considered an electrical or building code violation if someone actually did want to do this, even if only for a temporary measure and then reconnect the regular power and switch back after the "holiday" back the way it was originally.

I guess there may be some that would consider doing this, and I can see why someone may want to, like flashing the porch light like a strobe with fast off/on commands or having it flicker like a candle flame just so it wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb when someone may turn on the porch light for some reason.  Just speculating as to why someone may want to do it.    But it does make me think about options I hadn't even considered since you brought up "porch lights" controlled by a LOR Controller.