Light-O-Rama Forums

what controller do I need to get started?

JoshPoget

Ok, I think there is an Option #3:

CMB-16D-QC Deluxe DC Card - 1 @ $100.00
SPK-ST Generic Starter Package - 1 @ $44.00

Toro EZF series valve dc AZF-21-94 - 14 @ $21

These valves are DC (I think 12 Volt) so the DC card should power these fine right?

This solution seems so much simpler and the card only takes a few days to ship.

One thing I noticed is that the DC card requires DC power input? What would I need to power it with

a 20 AMP outlet? Seems like I would just need 2 12V transformers each providing 2.5 Amps, I would just

feed those to the 2 inputs on the card right?

Or just one 5 Amp supply that I would split the wire to each input on the card:

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-DC-Power-Supply-5-Amp-5A-12V-Adapter-Charger-LCD-Monitor-TV-Screen-/270881839053#vi-content

Edited by JoshPoget

I am not sure the DC card can handle inductive load like the solenoids very well. They have very specific characteristics. Maybe someone else on the forum has tried that and can shed some light on it or you could ask LOR via a support ticket.

In order to power the DC card, you need a transformer with a rectifier (similar to a cell phone charger or laptop PSU). Those are usually available from a lot of online stores...

For the 20 Amps - not really needed... if your system consumes 5 A @ 12 W, this would relate to about 0.5 A on 110 V..

I have been talking with LOR and it sounds like a 24 volt DC valve can be connected to the DC board without any problems.

My next task is to figure out how to turn on the pool pump I have plumbed into. It is currently connected to a relay controlled by a Pentair IntelliSense controller and load center.

One other thing I haven't finalized is the power supply. It seems that DC valves use a lot less power than AC solenoid valves. So before we talked about needing 5 Amps, I will have to find out exactly what the inrush amp draw is for these. I have been looking at this one and just want to know if something like this will work:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adapter-15V-18-5V-19-5V/dp/B004I5ERUW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368000404&sr=1-1&keywords=ac+adapter+24v