Light-O-Rama Forums

Couple of questions

TheJackal

1. How close to the 15 amp max is it safe to go? I'd double check after everything is hooked up, but I have one board in the 14-14.2amp area.

2. Can I ground the cord from outlet to controller on the heat sink?

I usually stick to the 85% rules....so you're over for me. But that's playing it safe and read others push it. Also there other factors like if your readings are with everything 100% on and will that actual happen while playing your sequence? Meaning if you have red, green and white lights....will all color lights turn on at the same time or just one color at a time. In this case, you will not cross or come close to that threshold. I know a few people that put more than the 15A allowed (100% all on) but would sequence so not all on at the same time. They may have 6A of Red, 6A of Green and 6A of White but would only have 2 colors on max at the same time. This give you the ability to add more than the controller can handle without actually over driving it. Just creative sequencing to add more. Another factor is the type of controller your using. Pro or residential? If pro...you can bump up to 20a per side by changing out the fuse and main input power cable to a 12awg.

Thx for the info Kevin. I'm using the Resi version and incans. I'm thinking to replace some of the incans for LED's before Christmas season. That would ease my mind. Maybe I should have started with all LED's. Such is the life of a newbie.