Light-O-Rama Forums

Any good site or DIY for SnowFlakes?

Big Sanch Mafia

Ive searched every forum on here and cant seems to find an answer. sorry fro such a basic question, but im looking to having 3 snow flakes on my roof. it would be on the pitch of the roof, lay flat and face the street. Any advice on when i could find a wireframe or any other sort of snow flake? maybe you guys have a good DIY idea.

I really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Chad

i have done some searches and can only find snowflakes that are premade with lights in them.... i would like to use my own lights. it hard to tell by some of the images provided if i can remove the preinstalled lights.

so im leaning on you guys for some help.

Try this one out - TJ has got a good DIY build for snowflakes http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/10495-tomato-cage-snowflakes-instead-of-mintrees/

Some of the pictures are missing so just add "http://forums.lightorama.com" in front of /upload.....

Here are some we made from 1/4 cold rolled steel ...

A total of 20 snowflakes were made; we cut a total of 240 - 1½" pieces, 240 - 3" pieces, 80 - 12" pieces and 20 - 24" pieces.

They were then welded and painted. Here is the before and after. 

post-7469-0-38923200-1366780603_thumb.jp

post-7469-0-38923200-1366780603_thumb.jp

Edited by John Slade

Those look pretty similar to the snowflakes I too made.  I have 12, of them now, hoping on upping it to a few more.  I also used Icicle lights for the lights on them.  I took strings of icicles, and cut where there were two wires then added a new plug.  It gave me three snowflakes for each string of icicles.  The best reason for this is you don't have to double back the way you do with string lights.  I tried string lights first, and after having a few connections pull out as I bent them around, I decided to go the icicle light method for my final lights.

Here are some we made from 1/4 cold rolled steel ...

A total of 20 snowflakes were made; we cut a total of 240 - 1½" pieces, 240 - 3" pieces, 80 - 12" pieces and 20 - 24" pieces.

They were then welded and painted. Here is the before and after.

Thank you for this.. What length of string did you use for each snowflake? And how did you attach it? Why type of string did you use?

The length breakdown was a great help

Edited by Big Sanch Mafia

Those look pretty similar to the snowflakes I too made.  I have 12, of them now, hoping on upping it to a few more.  I also used Icicle lights for the lights on them.  I took strings of icicles, and cut where there were two wires then added a new plug.  It gave me three snowflakes for each string of icicles.  The best reason for this is you don't have to double back the way you do with string lights.  I tried string lights first, and after having a few connections pull out as I bent them around, I decided to go the icicle light method for my final lights.

I'm a little unclear with your description... Are you saying you took one icicle string and made it into 3 by cutting it and adding a plug o the end? Do you have any images to attach?

Have you tried Lori's LIghted Delights?  I think you can buy frames without lights if you ask.  Don't quote me on that.

Nothing on wireframedlites... ive looked there a few times. i was hoping he might have some becuase i have heard such great things.

did find them on holidayyard.. they are similar to Johns.

Thanks for the links DSE

Most long strings of Icicle lights are divided into three sections.  Throughout most of the string there are three wires.  Anywhere where the wires go from a three wire set to a two wire set you can cut them and add a plug.  Some time last year we had a thread on cutting icicle lights, can't seem to find it now. 

I'll try to post a photo later.

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

Here are the lights we used http://www.holiday-light-express.com/M6_mini_LED_Christmas_Lights-70.php

with these clips http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=WFCLPS-BK

There are 12 lights on legs 1,3 and 5. Then 11 lights on legs 2,4 and 6. For a total of 69 lights leaving one extra light which gets tied to the back... 

Here are the lights we used http://www.holiday-light-express.com/M6_mini_LED_Christmas_Lights-70.php

with these clips http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=WFCLPS-BK

There are 12 lights on legs 1,3 and 5. Then 11 lights on legs 2,4 and 6. For a total of 69 lights leaving one extra light which gets tied to the back... 

i ve been looking at both sites.. so that helps me finalize that aspect. what is the overall height of one of your flakes?

24 inches

John,

Do you use one strand of lights o two? I'm trying to figure out out to install the lights cleanly.

One Strand - When wrapping each leg I would do every other light on the way up, both lights on the right 3" piece. Hit the top, then back down, hitting the left side and every other. Hope that makes a little sense.. :-) I can get some close up pics if you like.

One Strand - When wrapping each leg I would do every other light on the way up, both lights on the right 3" piece. Hit the top, then back down, hitting the left side and every other. Hope that makes a little sense.. :-) I can get some close up pics if you like.

I think I got it.. Pics would help me out...

Seems to be a bit of a puzzle

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send ya a picture - I am almost out of room for uploads...  :(