Light-O-Rama Forums

Image setup problem

Ron Boyd

I’m having a little problem with an Image set-up. I did a screen capture (see below). I’m doing a simple candy stripe arch. I create the image, add it, then select the x,y image actions. When I add it to the sequence, it adds a blank effect. Any ideas on why this is happening?

https://vimeo.com/64646821

The first 20 or so seconds, just ignore. I meant to edit that out.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Thanks for the video, it helps me see exactly what is happening. It looks like you are using the image on a visualization. Images only have an effect on a visualization on lights that look like a matrix. The idea is that an image has no meaning for lights that are not laid out in a matrix.

In the video, what light layout is in the visualization? Is it something that could be considered a matrix?

Well snap! I guess i have to do it all by hand using morphs, huh?

Its on a 4 arch, element made of 1 set of CCPixels. (2 strings) I've done this before on the same arches but they were in a visualization by themselves.

That does sound consistent. In the same visualization in my 16 leg pixel tree, the images work fine for it.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Are you saying that the visualization has both your 16 leg pixel tree, and the arches? For what it is worth, a while back I had it working so that an image and text went to all the lights in the display. But the problem is that image and text "clip" to matrix they are meant to be in. This is a factor when an image or text starts from a position where some of the text or image is off the edge of the matrix and then it scrolls through the matrix and off the other edge. The problem was that images that were meant to stay on the matrix "leaked" onto the other lights. So I have the code limit images and text to the matrix that is in the display. Another limitation is that the code only allows for one matrix per display. So if you had two matrices of lights, image and text is only going to work on the first one. The code sees the  2 CCP strings in your arches a matrix, but it is only recognizing the first matrix it found.

In your particular case you will indeed have to use only morphs and scenes on your arches. In the example you gave, you want to move a red and white band across the arches. This can be done with two morphs, though it is a bit of a pain. Make the state1 head width and state2 head width be the number of pixels of red you want. Make the tail time length be 0. Add the morph. Change the color to white and add another morph a little bit behind the first one. The challenge is you have to experiment with the amount of time you stagger them and balance that with the length of the head. Using the "single step" feature will help you with this. After adding the 2 morphs, click on the "pause" button on the tool bar. You can then use the left and right arrow keys to single step and see what happens frame by frame. When you are done, press on the "stop" button on the toolbar to go back to normal play mode.

Thanks Brian. I now see why that happens. They only work on the first element that the software finds.

If I use the CCR mode with the arches all by themselves, it works flawlessly then.

Problem solved. Thanks again

Ron