Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone using Lightjams software with LOR?

plasmadrive

I just looked at the Lightjams tutorial and it looks pretty cool for controlling pixels.  It will accept a DMX input for trigger as well as music or MIDI it seems..

Anyone here using it?  if so, what are some of the good and bad issues? 

While the interface for creating effects looks cool, it appears to be designed for live performance, not for running an autonomous show like LOR. So unless you're sitting in a lawn chair all nite, not much good for us.

While the interface for creating effects looks cool, it appears to be designed for live performance, not for running an autonomous show like LOR. So unless you're sitting in a lawn chair all nite, not much good for us.

Not that I would object to the lawn chair part if it were summer.. but actually it looks as though you can trigger effects via DMX.  That is my idea about interfacing with LOR.  pre-program effect and then just trigger them..

Not sure if that is doable for our type of programming.. but that is why I thought I would ask someone that has tried it..    Just trying to get a better handle on Pixels before I jump in with both feet..   :-)

LOR has been hinting that better pixel control is in the works. I'm with you that LOR, even with Superstar, is way behind. Hopefully something great will come out soon.

I downloaded the software, but haven't played with it.  It seems to me I would need to have my LOR controllers on the DMX network.  I'm not excited about that idea.  I think it would be fun to use this for regular music after Christmas just so I wouldn't have to sequence it.

I don't think I would move my LOR controllers to DMX.. I would use the Lightjams for pixels only.

• 5 months later...

Anything further on this?  I just loaded it and like it.  But I can't figure out how to trigger from LOR yet.  Anyone get that far?

LOR can't trigger it or talk to it.  The software uses the DMX protocol.  Your LOR controllers would have to be setup to use DMX, but then LOR software would also need to use DMX to talk to its controllers.  I'm not willing to convert my controllers to DMX even though I have a DMX universe.

It doesn't matter if LOR can trigger Lightjams, it matters how your LOR controllers are set up.  If your entire display is DMX, then you can use both programs.  If you use both LOR and DMX, then lightjams will only use what's on the DMX protocol.  If you want Lightjams to use the LOR controllers also, then you have to convert them to use the DMX protocol.  Then if you want to use LOR software again you have to convert the LOR controllers back to LOR protocol or change your LOR sequences channel assignments to DMX.

• The topic was locked