Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 visualizer vs the old animation screen.

jfelix

Well after using LOR for the last 7/8 years I am extremely comfortable with using the old animation screen as that is what I've always used. This year I have been thinking of switching to the visualizer in S3. I have been searching posts, downloaded the object maker, and tried to play with it some.

My question is, is it worth making three switch or should I just keep using three animation screen as I have since 05?

Is there a benefit or is it just more realistic looking and that is it?

One of the benefits is that when you have 2 or more colors in the same place, you longer have to 'stack' them on top/beside the other colors.

For example, I have 2 mega trees, 6 sections per tree, 4 colors per second. (See wonderlandchristmas.com for video.) In the animator I had to draw 48 pixels for the two trees (24 per tree) so I could see everything on the tree. With the visualizer I can simply assign the channels to the trees, and they will be shown on the tree where they actually are, not beside/on top of each other.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using LOR for 5 years and have always used animator.   However, this year I am using the LOR CCP lights.  Because each CCP bulb has 3 RGB channels that represents 300 lights which had to be mapped in animator. Animator was not an efficient solution for this so I began exploring visualizer. 

There is a learning curve with visualizer and seeing how I had 352 channels it took alot of time building the props and fixtures.  I found the following advantages which visualizer has over animator.

1.  If you using multiple color strings of lights on a display item (bush/tree) you simply draw one light string and assign all the colors to it.  In animator you have to draw a light string for each color.

2.  Using the visualizer wizards (arches, trees etc), you are able to get a more realistic view of what your display will look like.

3.  Since visualizer is a separate LOR program and not tied to a particular sequence, changes can be made to it and instantly used by any sequence.  In animator if I made a single change, I had to import it to each sequence I developed.  If you have several sequences, this takes alot of time. 

4.  If you are using RGB lights animator is very difficult to use.

Used the animation screen for years but switched to the visualizer his year. There was a small learning curve but I like it much better. Some things are still painful but overall it's worth the switch.