Light-O-Rama Forums

What do you use for "listen to the lights" /FM yard sign?

Big Sanch Mafia

Hello,

I have found on yard sign that reads " Tune to and the station #" but I have seen some pretty cool ones on ppls' display's. Is there any nice DIY or any sites you can recommend that I can purchase one?

Thanks in advance.

-Chad

I used pegboard (1/4" holes)and inserted standard incondesant light strings (I needed (5) 50ct.total). Made the letters and digits in a a dot matrix format ie. (7h x 5w). Yellow works the best, White as way to broght, My sign is 5' wide by 1' 7" high. I made a wood frame, painted it and added casor wheels to roll it out to setup my display.  DIY AND CHEAPLY TOO     

>if the radio frequency changes, NP rearange the lights!

here is a great thread with a lot of good looking signs.  just keep it simple and make sure it's in clear view of the visiter.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/15377-calling-all-radio-signs/?hl=%2Bcalling+%2Ball+%2Bradio+%2Bsigns

thank you, this is a great help. some pretty cool signs out there

holiday coro

that is the sign i did find.. thanks

Have used Holiday Coro's inc. sign for the last 3 years and loved it,  but this comming year I am replacing it with

Hiliday Coro's RGB matrix sign. This is going to be the best ever !!!

Who is Holiday coro, I couldn't find their website?

Also, how do you guys combat wind issues? My signs last year were 4' wide by 18" high sheets of plywood. I painted them white with hand painted red letters...I was going for that homemade rustic look. I secured them to PVC piping that was hammered into the ground with the sleeve method. But with the wind, they acted like a giant sail. There was so much twisting and bending that eventually they started to get crooked and one or two even fell.

Who is Holiday coro, I couldn't find their website?

Also, how do you guys combat wind issues? My signs last year were 4' wide by 18" high sheets of plywood. I painted them white with hand painted red letters...I was going for that homemade rustic look. I secured them to PVC piping that was hammered into the ground with the sleeve method. But with the wind, they acted like a giant sail. There was so much twisting and bending that eventually they started to get crooked and one or two even fell.

Maybe you need stakes going along the middle of it, not just the ends. Adding some holes to the ply would help the wind pat through, but not sure how the holes would look. Ultimately I think you need to use more stakes, maybe every 6-8" apart

I thought about putting holes in it, but am pretty sure it would ruin the look. I'm thinking I'll need to go to a lighter material. The wood is fairly heavy, so when the wind blows and pushes on it, there's a lot of twisting force on the frame. One challenge I have is that the smaller signs a lot of people use in residential neighborhoods may not work for me. My house is on a main rural roadway and it sits back a little ways. So it's better if I have a larger sign for people to see as they approach.

I'm thinking maybe I can have a banner made by a local shop, if they're not too expensive.

Its jumpy because I removed frames to make the GIF.  Should give you a good idea how I did a Tune in sign though.

house.gif

I used a peg board and a string (70 count) of yellow LED.

Glued them in the back.

Worked pretty well.

I actually built a new tune to sign this weekend.  It's not completely finished, but I think it is turning out pretty good.  I used a 48" x 24" piece of plexiglass from Lowes.  I made the sign up how I wanted it to look in photoshop and printed it out.  I cut out the letters and used a removable adhesive (studiotac) to put them on the plexiglass.  Then painted what will be the inside of the plexiglass with PlastiDip in a spray can.  Then removed the letters to leave them clear for the light to shine through.  I made a box out of wood about 2" deep and lined the inside with foil to make the whole inside reflective and lined the inside with some RGB Strip light.  In the video I haven't secured the lights yet, I just wanted to get a feel of how it was going to look.  Also, the PlastiDip that I used to paint it dries like a thin sheet of flexible plastic, so if I have to change my station, I don't have to scrap the whole piece of plexiglass.  I can just remove the part with the station and repaint the new one.  I think I'm going to make a couple of north poles with an RGB ball on top to mount it between.  Anyway, it was a rainy weekend, so I just thought I would share my small accomplishment!!

I actually built a new tune to sign this weekend.  It's not completely finished, but I think it is turning out pretty good.  I used a 48" x 24" piece of plexiglass from Lowes.  I made the sign up how I wanted it to look in photoshop and printed it out.  I cut out the letters and used a removable adhesive (studiotac) to put them on the plexiglass.  Then painted what will be the inside of the plexiglass with PlastiDip in a spray can.  Then removed the letters to leave them clear for the light to shine through.  I made a box out of wood about 2" deep and lined the inside with foil to make the whole inside reflective and lined the inside with some RGB Strip light.  In the video I haven't secured the lights yet, I just wanted to get a feel of how it was going to look.  Also, the PlastiDip that I used to paint it dries like a thin sheet of flexible plastic, so if I have to change my station, I don't have to scrap the whole piece of plexiglass.  I can just remove the part with the station and repaint the new one.  I think I'm going to make a couple of north poles with an RGB ball on top to mount it between.  Anyway, it was a rainy weekend, so I just thought I would share my small accomplishment!!

looks great. nice job

looks good.. i like how you put "Car Radio" ..should be a no brainer for people.

Cool idea on your sign.

looks good.. i like how you put "Car Radio" ..should be a no brainer for people.

Cool idea on your sign.

Last year my sign just said "Tune To" and Sadly enough, I actually had someone stop and ask what they needed to hear the music.  They said they saw the sign but didn't understand what it meant!!  So, I figured I would try to take a little more of the guesswork out of it!!