Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension cords standard Gauge to use?

Big Sanch Mafia

I wish I had known about this a few years ago, BEFORE I bought 1 1/4 miles of extension cords.  :angry:

Could have been worse...could have been 5.7 miles :D

Technically I would agree with you. And in our application this is true. But when you start stuffing wires into conduit then the insulation does make a difference. Thats why my friends they make a table showing wire with SJO, THHN,  THHT and so forth. Now wouldn't be just a wee bit easier to make a table with just the wire gauge and one entry for current? Its just there is no real difference in SPT-1 and SPT-2.

So, I have to say, yes the insulation does make a difference as to how much current a given gauge of wire will carry. But in our hobby we dont have to split those hairs. And did you know that again the current rating will change depending on how populated the conduit is stuffed....... Just food for thought. Suppose we can call it desert and not the main course for us..

yeah.. but it is technically inaccurate. 
The insulation is not the deciding factor in current carrying capability, it is the gauge of the wire. 

Here is an interesting table    http://www.houwire.com/pdf/article400_5.pdf  

Note the A and B designations.   Also note that SPT-1 and SPT-2 are rated the same for current allowance

Technically I would agree with you. And in our application this is true. But when you start stuffing wires into conduit then the insulation does make a difference. Thats why my friends they make a table showing wire with SJO, THHN,  THHT and so forth. Now wouldn't be just a wee bit easier to make a table with just the wire gauge and one entry for current? Its just there is no real difference in SPT-1 and SPT-2.

So, I have to say, yes the insulation does make a difference as to how much current a given gauge of wire will carry. But in our hobby we dont have to split those hairs. And did you know that again the current rating will change depending on how populated the conduit is stuffed....... Just food for thought. Suppose we can call it desert and not the main course for us..

Hi Max,

Actually in the context of "extension cords" the insulation of these two wire types plays no role.  It does however for standard wiring in a raceway as you pointed out.. It is good food for thought for those that run conduits out to their lawns and fill them with wire. 

Like you say though.. in our hobby.....  B)