Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie lookin to BUY

Bustluvr

Hi all this question has probably been asked a 100 times. I want to get a LOR display. What do I need? i have 6 - 7 k all led lights. i have a laptop that can be deticated to my light display. any info and opinions would be greatly appriciated. Thank You B) B) B) B) B) B)

Howdy,

You might try Lightorama's Starter Kits... they have the dongle, 1 controller and the advanced for about 400.00... one can always dd more controllers, or look at LED and DMX.

Hope this helps

Kip

first things first.  download the free demo on the light o rama website so you can learn the software.  decide what kind of layout you may want to do.I did this by watching tons of youtube videos and vidoes shared with folks around the forum. buying something should be a little farther down the line(maybe the summer sale sometime in July or August) once you have gone that far you can decide on what hardware you will need for your show... Welcome to the group one thing I almost forgot...you can save your work with the demo software and use it once you by your license.but until then the demo will not control lights

Edited by james campbell

Welcome aboard!  As James mentioned, start playing with the software.  Start drawing your layout in the visualizer.  Get your setup figured out as early as possible and then do your best to stick with it.  Making changes later will add some fustration.  Doing this work now will decide how many channels you're gonna need for when you're ready to get the hardware.  Since you're dealing with led strings, do a search in Google for snubbers, even though the new boards have them built in, it's very helpful to know the difference between half and full wave leds and their characteristics.  The forum search sucks, use Google to search the forum for finding topics.  Read, read and read some more.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try to research first, you'll get better answers when we see you've been doing your homework.

Also search, keyboard shortcuts, start play in middle of song, beat wizzard.  Also watch the tutorials for learning tips.

Don't forget extension cords!!!  Whether you buy ready made lamp cords or make your own, do a search on SPT wire and vampires.

Also, thank you for taking the time to edit your profile to show your location.  There are still some new members that haven't done that yet.

Edited by scubado

Hi all this question has probably been asked a 100 times. I want to get a LOR display. What do I need? i have 6 - 7 k all led lights. i have a laptop that can be deticated to my light display. any info and opinions would be greatly appriciated. Thank You B) B) B) B) B) B)

Your head examined! LOL

Download the software and play!

Edited by PaulXmas

Your head examined! LOL

Download the software and play!

Don't we all?? 

You will also need about 25 miles of extension cords...

When you get a bit more comfortable with LOR software - you should draw out your lighting plan. You mentioned you have lights - but you need to group them into "channels" that each LOR controller will operate. I drew out my yard, marked in where I thought each light group would go - then grouped them into 16 channel groups for each LOR controller.

Couple of things here. First, calculate the current needs of each group of lights (channel), then assigning them to a controller is easier to maintain balance with. Second, decide where you will place your controllers (which must be plugged into 2x power), and one ethernet cable.  I have mine next to a post they are chained to for security. Each light group then has a custom extension cable from its location to the controllers. Each cable is numbered and matches the layout design developed above. I ended up buying 1,500 feet of cable and vampire plugs - they are great. I did use GFI for every outlet feeding the controllers.

Enjoy.