Light-O-Rama Forums

Candle Flicker

Steven

I had an idea to improve my candle flicker sequence, but I'm thinking this may be too much trouble.  I started by taking a video of a LED tea light:

This looks pretty realistic, and a careful look will show 3 distinct brightness levels.  (The shimmer at the low level is just an artifact of my cell phone, it doesn't really shimmer.)  My idea was to look at this frame-by-frame in a video editor, and use the timings to make my sequence.

Then I wondered if there is an easier way.  Does anyone have the algorithm used by these tea lights to get the timing?  If I knew that, I could write a little randomization script and generate the sequence directly.

Somewhere on this forum, I ran across someone's .las and .lms files for a flickering Jack-o-Lantern, which may be what you're looking for.

I'll try to attach it for you and others.

Flickering Jack-O-Lanterns.zip

The flickering algorithm is detailed in the October 2010 issue of Nuts and Volts magazine, pages 40-42.

Edited by Ken Benedict

There's also a commercial product that can be controlled with DMX:http://www.gamonline.com/catalog/flickermaster/spec.php

And Halloween versions: http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/Flicker/flebuy_CommercialElectronicFlicker.html

There's LEDs with flickering built in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Red-Randomly-Flickering-Flicker-Flash-Flashing-5mm-LED-for-candle-light-FR5-/120918739472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c27518a10

A few years ago, I purchased an encapsulated flickering module with 120vac input and three outputs, each randomly flickering whatever 120vac incandescent module is attached. I was told these are used in Disney's Adventures of Indiana Jones rides. It works well.

Somewhere on this forum, I ran across someone's .las and .lms files for a flickering Jack-o-Lantern, which may be what you're looking for.

I'll try to attach it for you and others.

attachicon.gifFlickering Jack-O-Lanterns.zip

The flickering algorithm is detailed in the October 2010 issue of Nuts and Volts magazine, pages 40-42.

That would be mine.  I came up with that method originally in 2010 and improved upon it.   I think it looks very realisitic and as close as one can get to a candle flickering in a Jack O Lantern, however, it may not look as good on an exposed C7 bulb {which is what I had initially thought to create the effect for}, like on one of those artificial plastic candles that uses a C7 bulb.   This effect works best when used inside a prop such as a Jack O Lantern or a Lantern that may have slightly frosted or colored glass panes that would obscure the bulb a little bit.

Edited by Orville

Here's the updated LAS file that I have added some small different colored Jack O' Lanterns to the animation file to see the effect in action. 

However, the effect looks better using an actual C7 bulb inside a lantern with opague glass or a Jack O' Lantern{s}, like a carved out Funkin{s}, which is what I use in my Halloween Display. I also use the translucent orange C7 bulbs as they give the best effect for this simulation of a candle.

I also use this animation flicker sequence effect in my overnight lighting sequences that run after the show ends until morning light.

EDIT: The animation effect on the computer screen DOES NOT do this effect justice! An actual light, or lights, connected to a controller gives the best representation of how this effect works!

Edited by Orville

Since many are converting over to RGB…here are 8 channels of a 30 sec clip of my Candle Flickering I used in many of my Halloween shows. All my candles flickering were inside those foam type Micheal’s pumpkins. To make the look of flickering consisted of varies full-on, 50%, off, shimmer, fades, ect. Very random and make sure each prop is different. I’m my worst critic, so next time I would have a little longer on the full-on and 50% parts. A little too much flickering IMO.

You see a lot of the Candle Flickering at the beginning of my “This is Halloween” video.

CandleFlicker.zip

I have used Orville's original flicker routine for my candles and they look great. I am going to have to see how the updated version looks.

Yes, mine is specifically for incandescent or single color L.E.D,'s and looks great.  

My flickering candle sequences ARE NOT for RGB types, so I thank Kevin for sharing his RGB version for those that use RGB in their displays.   Now they will might work with RGB if you're just using a single color, like Orange possibly.  But since I don't use RGB, I can't say for certain,

Again, I don't use RGB currently, and I'm not sure if I will ever go that route, maybe one day but I'm kind of doubting it.

I just like things easy and simple and C7 bulbs, L.E.D. strings and Incandescent strings using LOR CTB16PC Controllers works just fine for me.

Edited by Orville

I have used Orville's original flicker routine for my candles and they look great. I am going to have to see how the updated version looks.

The only update was adding a different color to each horizontal column, and adding a small Jack O' Lantern graphic in the animation window {not the visualizer!} to give an idea as to how the effect works and looks.   Again, connecting a controller and bulb to each channel will give a much better representation of the effect visually.   The Animation Window truly does not do this effect justice.

To pefect it, I had to connect my 5 Funkin Jack O' Lanterns to each channel on my CTB16PC Controller, used an translucent {Clear} Orange C7 bulb in each pumpkin to get the effect as close to a flickering candle flame as possible.

Well darn, I thought I had a video on Vimeo of the Flickering Candle effect using my 5 Jack O' Lanterns, but couldn't locate it, so must not have uploaded it like I thought.   Was going to link to it to show how it actually looked, but unfortunately it's not there.  It's hell getting old! :wacko:

Orville et al,

On the vids that I posted this year (finally) I have some camera angles that show my candles and you can see the action there. All I did was cut and paste from your sequence into mine if you want to see what they somewhat look like.

Orville et al,

On the vids that I posted this year (finally) I have some camera angles that show my candles and you can see the action there. All I did was cut and paste from your sequence into mine if you want to see what they somewhat look like.

Oh I know it will work for exposed bulbs on candles.  But I just felt the effect looked more realistic and a bit better when the bulbs were obscured.  But that's just my opinion. ;)

I was trying to create this effect for an 10 bulb chandelier I actually wanted to rewire each bulb individually in the chandelier so I could make it look a little more spooky.  Got the chandelier all apart and never did go back and rewire it, at least not yet.  Perhaps I may get to it one of these days.