Light-O-Rama Forums

x-10 light dimmer on switched outlets

FireMedic4Christ

Just wanted to make sure I am on the right track here. I thought I was being smart by installing switched outlets in my eaves for christmas lights. Now that I have discovered LOR, I want to control them as well. This year just all on and off with a fades on occassion. Smarthome.com list a 15 and a 20 amp switch that responds to all lights on and all lights off. Since this switch is controlling outlets with lights plugged in, will they be able to fade or dim?

LOR can control them, however please realize that x10 is orders of magnitude slower than true LOR hardware outlets. The LOR software can send codes to your X10, but probably not with enough speed for you to do any kind of musical syncronization to.

I use the x10 functionality to extinguish the candles in the windows inside my house when the LOR show starts, then turn the candles back on when the show ends.

Dave

I have read that the X-10 is slower. My eave lights were static last year and controlled manually. This year they still will be for the most part. Just wanted to see if X-10 would dim them to about 85% to save amps and bulb life and then to fade on and off at certain times in my show.

Thanks for your advise and time,

The fade option doesn't work with X10, however the intensity setting does. But note it doesnt work as in the same fashion as if it were an LOR controller. When you send an intensity setting to an X10 module the module first sets it to 100% then fades down to the intensity setting you told it to go to.

So if your lights are on and set already at 40% and you want it to go up to 60% it will shoot up to 100% then down to 60%.

So if you just looking to save some energy and adding a little variation I think using X10 would work just fine for you. However this is an LOR forum so I also recomend if you plan to go true animation then make the jump into buying an LOR board.

Thanks for the advise. I will check into setting this up for this year so I don't have to manually turn on anything.

I have access to some of the outlets and over time will rewire them for LOR use. I'm sure I can find a place to recycle the x10 switches.

DavBro wrote:

I use the x10 functionality to extinguish the candles in the windows inside my house when the LOR show starts, then turn the candles back on when the show ends.
Ok, perhaps this is a FAQ, but how do you tell the scheduler/sequence editor to leave a X10 outlet on after the show ends? I plan to use X10 to turn off our motion sensor outdoor lights when the show starts and turn them back on after the show ends.

Steven.

I am not set up to test this since I am in our temporary office. But I think you could just make a dummy show to do this. What I mean by a dummy show is make a short 20-30 second sequince (even shorter should be fine) that only turns the X10 module back on. Have it end like that and you should be fine. I dont think it will send a signal back to tell it to shut back off. I may be wrong thou and I just cant check right now.

I thought we had some support for fade with x10. It does depend on the module types being used and there is not much control over the fade rate.... I will have to try it again.

Dan

Ok Jeff,

Before I spoke anymore I wanted to make sure that what I was saying was actually true. I knew I had my controllers here at our temporary office but didnt know I also had all my X10 stuff here. Also forgot that I hadn't set up the new computer I am on to run X10. But got it all set up and ran my X10 test sequince to make sure that everything was how I remembered and it is.

My test sequince first turns on the module then off about 4 seconds later, 4 more seconds and it has a 50% intensity, 2 seconds back off, 2 seconds again 50% intensity.

Like I mentioned thou. If you use the intesity levels it first turns the lights on to a full 100% level then backs then down to the intensity you set it for. Kinda weird but it works. For my I only used then for our tune too sign and donation box lights which only turned on at the very beginning of the show.