Light-O-Rama Forums

Is my arch assumption measurements correct?

TheJackal

A arch made from 8-100 count strings wrapped on 3/4" conduit will be approximately 10' long (give or take a little bit). Arched in a perfect arch it will be 3.18' wide? I need this number so I know how/where to set up my arches.

10' = 1/2 circle

20' = complete circle

Circumference = 2(3.14)R

20' = 2(3.14)R

20'/6.28 = R

3.18' = R

To get the width I think you would need the diameter which is 2 R - so 6.36...

You are correct. I needed the diameter, not radius :wacko: Thanks.

My 7 channel, 100 count mini's on 3/4" pipe are 7 feet long.  I use a smaller radius so they are space about 4.5 feet apart.

The arch's that start out straight up don't look right to me.

Just my opinion.

Try out a few different lengths till you get what looks good to you.

Scott

My 7 channel, 100 count mini's on 3/4" pipe are 7 feet long.  I use a smaller radius so they are space about 4.5 feet apart.

Just my opinion.

Try out a few different lengths till you get what looks good to you.

Scott

Looks like 1 string around a 3/4" pipe = 1 foot. I planned on dedicating 1 controller for 4 - 8 string arches (each channel controlling 2 strings, arches 1+3, arches 2+4, if that makes sense). Just took measurements in my yard and its borderline on whether this would work.

I'm wondering if 4 - 4 string arches would look good? THAT would fit my yard better. I don't see any video of these. I'm also thinking of 2014, which will most likely have more controllers.

I'm trying to keep the numbers even with the controllers 4-8-16 etc

Edited by TheJackal

I agree. Most arches are more than twice as wide as they are high. For instance, my mega-arch is 49 feet long and 30 feet wide. (I haven't measured the height.) Using the same ratio, a 10-foot arch would be about 6 feet wide.

I'm wondering if 4 - 4 string arches would look good?

In my opinion, it would be better to duplicate 8-channel arches, as you are planning. Then you could use the same arches in the future when you get more controllers.
  • Like 1

Depending on the bulb spacing you will vary between 10" and 14" per 100 count.  I found that the bulbs were starting to line up on one side of the arch if we wrapped them tight.  So every few turns we doubled back on the string to keep the bulb spacing semi-random.  If you want to keep the spacing of each section exact it doesn't hurt to have a few wraps overlapping if you have some extra string left.

As far as sections, 4-100 count sections are a little "choppy"  If you are short on channels I would go with 6 or 7 per arch and piggy back another arch onto the same channels. They would be duplicates, but would look much smoother.

Complete circumference is Pi * Diameter; half of that would be a hoop. Go from there.

I agree. Most arches are more than twice as wide as they are high. For instance, my mega-arch is 49 feet long and 30 feet wide. (I haven't

measured the height.) Using the same ratio, a 10-foot arch would be

about 6 feet wide.In my opinion, it would be better to duplicate 8-channel arches, as you are planning. Then you could use the same arches in the future when you get more controllers.

Yeah, I put 4-4's in the Visualizer. As I was making them up, it came to mind exactly what you said. Also, I started thinking the 4-4's would be TO small...unless I had a whole bunch of them. Maybe next year. Thx.

Complete circumference is Pi * Diameter; half of that would be a hoop. Go from there.

Got it...thx.

I feel the same...my arches at 3.5' high and 7' wide....I'm not a fan of arches that start going straight up (but it might be what u want, nothing wrong doing something different than others)

I use 5 and 7 channel arches. 100 count c6 leds per section.

7ft between the legs about 3 to 3.5 ft tall. This gives me a very smooth arch.

Odd number of channels per arch make them flow much smoother.

The odd segment is dead center on the arch.  Just my thoughts.

I use 5 and 7 channel arches. 100 count c6 leds per section.

7ft between the legs about 3 to 3.5 ft tall. This gives me a very smooth arch.

Odd number of channels per arch make them flow much smoother.

The odd segment is dead center on the arch.  Just my thoughts.

What's your spacing between arches ?

I have NO spacing between my arches...so on a chase, it can look as though it is continuous flow from one arch to the next...

I agree with Jim. Next to no space between arches.

You want as smooth of a flow as you can get.