Light-O-Rama Forums

help...

paralegalnc

ok all you veterans.... I have an idea and I don't know exactly how to execute it.  I've seen videos where like a digital santa shows up in the window... or even somone who has a video running... kinda what I want to do... I want to have a "slide show" if you will... some sort of screen (movie?) but during a song I want to have pictures displayed, a picture slide show... not animated... not moving... just pictures... how do I do it?  get a movie projector? It will be a video file on the computer in a program I have.  But then how do I get it to turn on?  Ok give it it's own channel? turn it on like the lights? but then how do I get the file to open when I want to play during a song? There has to be away that I'm just not thinking of.... I've seen someones show that literally has like a movie running during parts of their show.  I've emailed them but not getting a response  :(  they must be down for the season....  can someone please help

I know there are quite a few threads that address what you want to do.  Have you tried googling "How to run video in LOR?"   I haven't gotten into video yet myself, maybe someday.

I didn't know exactly what it's called...   I found a thread on planetchristmas but it's in geek language.....(technologically illiterate so if anyone has info...please don't use big words)

I have heard of someone who loaded the "Santa" video on an iPod, which apparently has a video output. He just leaves it playing all the time, and turns the projector on and off with a LOR channel.

It's actually a little more complicated, because just cutting power to a video projector reduces the lifespan of the bulb, so the LOR channel powers a relay that is wired to the projector's on/off button.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking of a projector... and having a LOR channel cut on the projector... which I'm sure is just like any other set of lights... but i want to have a slideshow on the projector.  but anyone have an idea of how to get the slideshow video to start?  and if so any ideas on what software to use?  I have Microsoft Photostory.  which is basically what I want to do... have a photostory playing during a light show?  someone tell me not in geekese

Usually your software will allow you to create a movie out of the slideshow. So you don't actually run the slideshow during the display but a video.

• 2 weeks later...

well how do I get it to project on the screen??  I'm not going to buy a large tv and set outside

Check on christmaslightshow.com. he has the Santa video, screen and projector to do it.

Video projection isn’t that hard, you just need something that is partially opaque that you can project on to and view it from the back.  A simple bed sheet, a thin window shade or even corrugated plastic would work.  Even if it’s slightly out of focus, it will look fine from a distance.

If you’re going to project words, make sure you reverse the image somehow.

you have to buy a video projector about $200.00 is what I spent. make a video in windows movie of your slide show with the music that you will use in your sequence than  go to lor sequence editor get your sequence that you want to run video with now go edit media file now select your video and it will play with your sequence . you connect your projector to your extra monitor jack and then you project image on a window from in the house

Most projectors cannot be controlled by a controller as they need warm up time. To do the slide show, output the computer to the projector. Use a White sheet as you can shoot the picture out the window to the sheet. Otherwise, the projector has to be put into a Water proof box. You can get projectors pretty cheaply on Ebay.

PM me if you want more info. I have a home theater in my basement. Link enclosed.

Kip

https://picasaweb.google.com/kiplorenzo/TeaserSRanch#5488070897371804066

https://picasaweb.google.com/kiplorenzo/TeaserSRanch#5488070945092681346

• 2 weeks later...

couple things... I have material to use as a screen...just don't think I can use the projector from inside as the material is a think foam board.  My friend uses it to make a screen for outdoor movies for his daughter's birthday parties.  But I am sure my husband can make a weatherproof box...he can make everything.  So Say I have this board in a frame set in my large front window.  Have the projector somewhere outside so it projects on the screen.  I make a "video" of my slide show and dl it to LOR instead of MP3.  sequence my lights.... now how do I get the projector to come on to play the video when I want it to if it needs to "warm up"?   Im using a laptop... so if I hook up to this what I guess is a monitor jack... that will cut on the projector when I want?? I only want to use it for one song  maybe two

Edited by paralegalnc

You just can't turn the projector off it could damage the bulb  the easy way is to mount projector in house and project to the backside of window use a piece of mylar video will project thru so people can see from outside   go to website  Christmas lightshow.com  search for projection material

so if I can't turn it on and off....how am I supposed to do it?? I don't want it running throughout the whole show.... I will have it mounted in a weather proof box because I don't want it set up in the middle of my living room.I have the screen stuff for my window.... that's not my issue.  I make the video....sequence my lights... have one sequence run....then I want the next one to be my video.... so just have the projector on for the whole show and just have the controller turn the projector light on? or will it remain black throughtout until it gets video feed?  boy am I that computer illiterate? what am i missing? 

I don’t know why they can’t be turned on/off or why they’re so much different than the bulbs in film and slide projectors of yesteryear or any other incandescent bulb for that matter.  It’s just what the people that own these projectors are saying.  It wouldn’t be the first time that no one really knew on this site but kept repeating what they heard.  It’s just that the life of the bulb is supposedly shortened by turning the light on an off.

It’s suggested that displaying a black picture is better than turning the light off.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know why they can’t be turned on/off or why they’re so much different than the bulbs in film and slide projectors of yesteryear or any other incandescent bulb for that matter.

The reason is the fan. When the bulb is turned off there is still a bunch of heat in the system that needs to be moved. All those projectors keep the fan running for a while after the bulb is turned off. I remember Mom & Dad's slide projector from the early 1970's that had a 3-position power switch, with 'fan only' in the middle.

It depends on the projector model, but you may be able to open it up and wire directly to the off switch, or wire to the contacts in the remote. You'll have to use a relay connected to a channel. If it works by pressing the switch briefly to turn it on, and holding it down to turn it off, then you can put those timings in a sequence. If there are separate on and off push-buttons, then you'll need to use 2 channels.

Being a DIY kind of person, I look at every problem as an opportunity to fix it.  So if the projector doesn’t have an automatic fan controller then it could be fixed in one of two ways. 

First would be a temperature sensor of some sort and a relay that controls the fan.  That way the fan just stays on until the bulb is sufficiently cooled. 

The second way is a simple time delay relay that keeps the fan on for a fixed amount of time after the power is removed from the bulb.

The first way would guarantee the bulb cooled, no matter what the outside temperature is.