Light-O-Rama Forums

Has anyone made a US flag out of lights?

gc75067

if so do you have any build sheets/instructions?  also, is it possible to do this and create a wave effect using such a flag and LOR controllers with LED's?

if so do you have any build sheets/instructions?  also, is it possible to do this and create a wave effect using such a flag and LOR controllers with LED's?

holidaycoro would be the place to go for the flag, for the wave effect I would think it would take something like a RGB matrix board or CCR's.

Edited by caniac

holidaycoro would be the place to go for the flag, for the wave effect I would think it would take something like a RGB matrix board or CCR's.

i was guessing that RGB set up of some sort would be best.  was hoping for a "simple" set up with LOR since this is our first year and i am trying to get LOR sequencing down first.  but if thats the only way then i will be learning that next year i guess :).  thanks for the input

The Holiday Coro flag is made with incandescents, there is a prop for it on the following link, item #32, which works in the Visualizer with 15 LOR channels. That may give you an idea of how it would look.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/15271-official-s3-lor-visualizer-props-and-fixtures-attachments/

I made a light box out of pixel nodes .... its 36" x 24" and uses 45 pixels ( the square ones with 4 RGB LEDs and a hole in the middle. Its not a perfect flag.... and its a little fuzzy ... but you get the idea. Maybe this weekend ill post pics. Christmas Use is my custom tune to sign 4th or July / veterans day/ memorial day is flag duty

here are the pixels I used:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/promotion-36mm-36mm-Square-12V-Digital-RGB-LED-Pixels-WS2801-IC-20pcs-a-string/701799_707755919.html

9705_4847508030859_1534052722_n.jpg

12889_4847508310866_1241751234_n.jpg

Edited by Crazydave

I made one out of window screen (as the backing material) and LED stringers.  As mentioned above, Holiday Coro has a bigger one which is much denser (more lights) than mine. 

If you wanted to wave it using "old skool" technology (standard AC controllers), you could create several flag patterns on a coro board - one straight, one waving up, and one waving down, and alternate between them. 

Actually we are starting to release updates to most of our mini-light based products so that they work with RGB nodes.  The first of these items was the 18x24 scrolling matrix sign which can be used with LOR Color Cosmic Pixels:

We've completed designs for a few other items but have not done the flag as it is a slow selling item but get with us and we'll see what we can do for you!

Thanks,

David

HolidayCoro.com

You might consider just welding up a wireframe flag.  I did this about 5 years ago and only this year had to restring it.  It has about 1600 lights on it.  I did a standard 3x5 and it looks great. The stars were a pain because I cut out 50 of them our of light sheet steel and drilled a hole in the center of each and placed a light in each.

Colonel Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any tutorial videos out there to teach you about using pixels.  Really dumb about this procedure.  Are they RGB?

Karl,

RGB's work well with a flag. I am doing one in a sequence right this very second. I have a pixel tree new this year and will have 84 nodes on each string 20 foot tall and 16 strings. Looks real good in the visualizer. I see you are in Tallahassee and I do my show in Madison, Florida.  If I can be of any help let me know.

Jeff

I made this one last year out of wood and 774 mini lights.  I purchased the full size plan from www.thewinfieldcollection.com.  Painting the stars was very time consuming but well worth the trouble.  It is a very bright and noticeable decoration. 

photo2.jpg

Are there any tutorial videos out there to teach you about using pixels.  Really dumb about this procedure.  Are they RGB?

Not a video but fast eddy has a PowerPoint on it. Holiday Coro has a video about RGB ( not sure if it covers pixels.... sorry no links... im on my cell phone

The infromation is spread out over many different sites and it depends on the direction you want to go.  Here are some starter links:

General basline information - non-vendor specific:  http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=15

Example of how to line your house in pixels (includes 12 pages of instructions) - non-vendor specific:  http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/04/outlining-your-house-in-rgb-lights.html

I built a US Flag about 5 years ago. It's made with a 3/4" sheet of PVC that I drilled holes in and put c6 lights in. I'm going to upgrade it to c6 LED lights this year. It uses 1-16channel LOR controller.

http://youtu.be/CoxGhV5IjA4

Last year I added a RGB firework above it.

http://youtu.be/lXgi_wxrDHg

If you want more details, let me know.

Thanks,

Frank