Light-O-Rama Forums

Basic Visualizer Question

sharpsvillelights

I have been programming in LOR sequence editor using the animator for 5 years.   I currently have 356 channels.  Just bought 4 ccp's in the LOR sale and purchased a Superstar license for them.  I have been reading all the posts about Visualizer and have the following questions.

- Does visualizer replace sequence editor animator?

- Is visualizer another application in the LOR S3 suite of software?

- What is the best say for a newbie to get started? 

i dont have any experience with the animator so i am not sure of its capabilities.  with the visualizer you can take a picture of your home or where ever you will be doing your show.  you can add props, etc.. create light strings and all kinds of stuff. assign it all to your network/controller/etc and watch it go after you connect it to a sequence.  i like it.. but its all i know

- Does visualizer replace sequence editor animator?

No, it is in addition to the animator

- Is visualizer another application in the LOR S3 suite of software?

Yes

- What is the best say for a newbie to get started? 

First thing to do is import a picture into the Visualizer, then (with 356 channels and 4 CCP's) get ready to spend lots of time setting it up, but it will be well worth it when you are done.

Bisquit476,

Now that I have CCP's I am trying to find the best way of viewing how the show will look.  I am happy with the views which animator gives, but I do not know if CCP's (or any RGB device) will work.  The width of my display is 120' which has always presented challenges in animator. 

Do you have experience setting up various RGB devices in animator or visualizer?

Setting up RGB devices is actually easier than creating a lot of unique props for your display. Check out the Visualizer tutorials, paying special attention to the Wizards. Those are very helpful in creating the more common types of things like arches and mega trees.

Plan on spending some time - maybe a week or two even. But when you get finished it is well worth it - especially when it comes to what-iffing. All you do is click on the prop and drag it somewhere else.

If you're used to using shimmer and twinkle, be advised that those effects look crappy in the Visualizer.

Yes, you can set up the CCPs in the Animation but you have to do it manually, drawing in each pixel individually.

Edited by George Simmons

Bisquit476,

Now that I have CCP's I am trying to find the best way of viewing how the show will look.  I am happy with the views which animator gives, but I do not know if CCP's (or any RGB device) will work.  The width of my display is 120' which has always presented challenges in animator. 

Do you have experience setting up various RGB devices in animator or visualizer?

Actually I don't, I tried my hand at sequencing a CCR and found out I'm an ID ten T with RGB stuff. As far as the width of your display, it will be a big challenge in trying it in the Visualizer. I'm sure it can be done though, and good luck.

Edited by bisquit476

If you're used to using shimmer and twinkle, be advised that those effects look crappy in the Visualizer.

I can count on any post that has to do with the visualizer for George to throw a jab at the twinkle and shimmer!

Batting a 1000% on dat one! Thanks for not letting me down George! Maybe one day Mike will actually do something

about it...you know, or not? Just sayin..... :)

We are working on video tutorials for the visualizer. As far as the shimmer and twinkle effects in the visualizer, we make constant improvements to the software. I prioritize the changes made and any improvements that are made or are not made fall directly on my shoulders not the programmers. 

Dan

Light O Rama, Inc. 

Is there anyway to change the background picture without changing the props (ie leave the props in place)?

Another question about the background picture.  My property is very wide (140') and have been unable to get a good picture to include the whole frontage.  Tried taking several pictures and merging but the pictures do not look good in Visualizer.

So I am thinking of just developing all the props in visualizer and not worrying about the background picture.  I know it will take a little more time to calcuate where theings are placed.  Has anyone else done this?