Light-O-Rama Forums

Folding Packages... finally

rainyoregonchristmas

I finally had a chance to finish one of the prototypes for my new folding Christmas present wire frames.  This year I had wood framed presents covered in fabric, but they were huge 2x2x2 foot and let me tell you a PAIN to store.  Nothing like taking up 96 cubic feet of my limited storage.  So this is my solution.  The one in the video is 18 x 18".  I was trying to figure out the top so right now it is just a single rod, but will soon be a rectangular box across the top to keep the frame square.  Also, I will have some newer designed brackets that will allow me to tighten them to help keep the package square.  Tell me what you think.    Hopefully I will have a chance this week to sew up a cover, then I'll light one with DMX as a test  YEE HA!

http://vimeo.com/63063839

-RainyOregonChristmas

• 3 months later...

This project was something I was working on earlier this year before the Rainy Tree took control of my life!  The covering material I am using is a nurseryman's frost cloth.  It is design to cover plants in the winter.  It is white, and semi porous which helps with some of the moisture accumulating inside.  It comes in several hundred foot rolls unfortunately.   I have access to it because of my parent's Nursery.  Here's what the fabric looks lit:

http://sdrv.ms/16M2wLK

(caniac  I haven't forgotten you... just delayed.)

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

In my own boxes I just used LED string lights the first year.  I believe caniac is using a few RGB nodes or a small RGB flood, I don't remember which.  It doesn't take much to light them up.  I don't know if I will get to the RGB this year for these.  I've been kinda focused on another project.  But that one is in a holding phase.  So I'll try to get back to this one and see what I can get ironed out in the next few weeks.

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

In my own boxes I just used LED string lights the first year.  I believe caniac is using a few RGB nodes or a small RGB flood, I don't remember which.  It doesn't take much to light them up.  I don't know if I will get to the RGB this year for these.  I've been kinda focused on another project.  But that one is in a holding phase.  So I'll try to get back to this one and see what I can get ironed out in the next few weeks.

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Matt

Where do you live in Oregon ?

Gresham, Portland ?

I would love to come check out your pixel tree some time.

I live up in the Gorge in Carson, Wa. and my wife and I go into Gresham/Portland at least once a month for shopping, so maybe we can meet up some time ?

Thanks

Travis

I'm actually in the Newberg area, which is about 30 min or so South West of Portland.  I'm working on a few things on the Rainy Pixel Trees, one is a clip to attach the pixels to the tree instead of using zip ties.  Hopefully I will get one of the last clip prototypes back on Monday.  Then it's off to the extruder to get a bid and get that underway.  I'm also utilizing CCP for the Rainy Tree so joining it with a G3 director will make it definitely portable for demos.  I'm hoping on having several of them in my display this year.  I have two 4 foot trees built for demos.  One for CCP and one for Super Strings.  Still hoping on getting a few in other peoples displays this year, but we'll see.

Things are definitely hectic for me but between now and Christmas we should find some time to get together.

PM me on some times that work for you in the coming months.

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Thanks rainy, your PVC ones must have been what I saw a year or so back, ive been interested in making something like ever since I saw them. Probably not this year, but absolutly next year.