Light-O-Rama Forums

Measuring for FM Frequency

thevikester

Bought an antenna, but unsure where I should start my measurement to determine antenna length. Is it the top line or the bottom line. Pls excuse my MS Paintbrush capabilities, dealing with nerve damage so everything is with my weak hand.

Edited by thevikester

Picture won't upload, not sure why...I will post a link instead. The antenna has a 2 inch hex collar that the antenna slides up and down, and want to know if I should measure from the top of that collar or bottom.

http://www.fmdxantenna.com/proddetail.php?prod=14tun#.UGebj7e9Kc0

I presume that I was looking at the right picture. Yours is the one with the 4 drooping wires and one going straight up? If so, great antenna type. Just one problem. No two antenna installations are the same. But you are using low power so it wont matter. But to really install and tune an antenna properly, one would use a SWR meter. Telling you to cut it at a certain length is hogwash. Good for course tuning, but not fine tuning.

To answer your question. Measure from the plate that all of the elements are mounted to.

P.S. I used to use a SO-239 socket and solder wires directly to it and trim it for 146Mhz. Tie a string to the vertical wire and a push pin to mount it from my apartment ceiling. Great cheap little antenna.  De KF0OX but then it was N5HHV and wife was N5HHU    Da dit Dah

MP, you had the right picture, there is a little allenwrench set screw to slide the vertical antenna up and down, so no cutting involved, so based on your answer, i'm going to go with the base of the collar for my starting point. I don't have a SWR meter, but I can do the course tuning to start, and then make adjustments accordingly.

Thanks for the help!

1 more question if I may, If I am using PVC for my pole, does it matter if I run the coax on the inside vs the outside? I just set it up this weekend, 10 foot pole, in the yard, to test the clarity, and have that part ironed out, and that antenna design made a nice difference. My plan is to attach the PVC pole with brackets up the side of my house above the initial roof line several feet, and want it to be as clean as possible.