Light-O-Rama Forums

Still struggling with my 2013 display layout...help!

Klayfish

I want to get cracking on my programming for this year...I know I'm already a bit behind. I actually already started working on my first song. But the more I look at the layout, the more I'm questioning how good it's going to look. I could use some more creative input and/or constructive criticizm. I want to lock my design in and go. I know it's near impossible to switch designs later, so I want to get it right now.

I am not using my house at all, so no none of my channels will be dedicated to anything hanging from the house. The area dedicated to my channels is an open and flat field. No trees, bushes, just grass. I have 32 channels. Some other parameters...no megatree. I very much want one, and may even do one if time allows, but it would be static this year if I do. Not super handy and don't have a ton of time, so nothing super complicated to build...thinking mostly PVC or wood assembled props.

I've attached two concepts that my wife and I came up with. Sorry they're not fancy, but I'm not great with this stuff. Please give me your input or other ideas.

1. Picture with the diamonds at the bottom. People would be parked facing the diamonds. The diamonds would be laying on the grass. They are two channels each, using two colors. Behind them is a row of 8 36" mini-trees. One channel each. Behind that is a row of 4 54" mini-trees. Two channels each there, using two colors.

2. Picture with the pinwheels. Each pinwheel is 8 channels, one color. I'd connect the front and back pinwheels together, so channels 1-8 would control the left front pinwheel, and left rear. I suppose I could do as many rows that way as I want (or as electrical capacity allows). Behind that are 8 54" mini trees, one color each.

Like I said, those are just ideas. I'm trying to find a nice layout for a grass field, not using the house, trees, bushes, etc... Thanks for any suggestions you have!

post-10730-26424_thumb.jpg

post-10730-26466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klayfish

Ugh, for some reason, I'm having trouble attaching both. Here's the diamond one...

2013display1_zpsc8c4afcd.jpg

Edited by Klayfish

it is a good thing that you are setting your layout in stone now. as you stated it's very hard to chang it later. I like the version with the diamonds,but I would cut the number of diamonds in half and then make two seven channel arches. They would be mirrored so you would only need seven total channels. That would leave you with an extra channel for some strobes maybe. I think strobes add alot for one channel.

it is a good thing that you are setting your layout in stone now. as you stated it's very hard to chang it later. I like the version with the diamonds,but I would cut the number of diamonds in half and then make two seven channel arches. They would be mirrored so you would only need seven total channels. That would leave you with an extra channel for some strobes maybe. I think strobes add alot for one channel.

i agree, love the random twinkles of the strobes

it is a good thing that you are setting your layout in stone now. as you stated it's very hard to chang it later. I like the version with the diamonds,but I would cut the number of diamonds in half and then make two seven channel arches. They would be mirrored so you would only need seven total channels. That would leave you with an extra channel for some strobes maybe. I think strobes add alot for one channel.

Oooh, I like that idea, thanks! I think I'm going to do that. I'll eliminate the 2 diamonds on each end and replace them with one arch on each side. The arches will be a mirror, but having them bookend the diamonds should be cool. I don't know much about how strobes work, but if I can run them off of one channel, that would be awesome.

Even though it's going to be static, I did pick up one really cool piece for my display. I'm planning on making a life sized version of a Matchbox car in it's original packaging. I'll wrap it in a bow, and have a big blow up Santa standing next to it. My original plan was to make a sleigh out of an old 1920's-1940's truck, and I almost bought one, but my wife wasn't thrilled with having something that big sitting around the house. So this plan involves a much smaller car. Here's the car...it's really rough looking now, but considering I paid scrap price, it's all good. I'll give it a wild paint job (4 cans of spray paint should work) and clean it up in general. Then build a thin plexiglass box to put around it. Get a sheet of chloroplast to stand behind it, which I'll paint to look like a Matchbox package. Debating whether or not to light the headlights and taillights.

Again, trouble posting images, not sure why....

One of these days, I'll figure out why multiple images don't attach...lemme try this way...

P1030260_zpsf56e1773.jpg

P1030262_zpsf93f838c.jpg

post-10730-54797_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klayfish

The cool thing about strobes (the bulbs most of us use in our Christmas displays) is that you can put out a string of them, they take up only one channel, they fire randomly so it looks like they twinkle, did I say only takes up one channel.

Not to deter you from the strobes, but I was not overly impressed with the U type I bought last year. I knew when they were supposed to fire, and they did, I just didn't notice them in the display. I followed all the instructions and they were, eh (insert so-so hand wiggle here). High Country Lights has a write up on using clamp on work light reflectors that I'm going to try. The write up is to make the strobes reflective. Mine just looked like a couple od flashes. They were quite boring in my display. I have seen displays where they were great, which is the reason I added them in the first place. If they are still mediocre as in the WOW factor after I try the reflector thing, I'll have about 12 white and 12 r, g, b for sale a little later this year.

Not to deter you from the strobes, but I was not overly impressed with the U type I bought last year. I knew when they were supposed to fire, and they did, I just didn't notice them in the display. I followed all the instructions and they were, eh (insert so-so hand wiggle here). High Country Lights has a write up on using clamp on work light reflectors that I'm going to try. The write up is to make the strobes reflective. Mine just looked like a couple od flashes. They were quite boring in my display. I have seen displays where they were great, which is the reason I added them in the first place. If they are still mediocre as in the WOW factor after I try the reflector thing, I'll have about 12 white and 12 r, g, b for sale a little later this year.

I think there are differences in the type of strobe bulbs people buy.  Flash rates differ and brightness.  there were a couple of threads on this last year.  what I got out of those threads is to stay away from the LED ones because they weren't as bright and did not give that "random" effect.  the ones in my display I purchased at WoWLights and they work great.

Caniac,

Can you link me the ones you bought from Wow? Like I said, I'm not very familiar with them and don't want to get something that isn't worth the time/money.

Here's the ones I used: http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=62

They just didn't have that "WOW" factor I was looking for.

I think you would like the ones from Christmas lightshow.com.the ones I use are 4 flashes a second and really pop.the ones you have look like 2 flashes a second.I bought 5 similar and was not impressed

WOW a Bradley GT, I built one of those back in 1975.  Only had it a about a year before it was time to sell so I had the money for a down payment on a house when I got out of the service.  Was a fun car for awhile but the resale value was worthless.

Bonus points for you! Not too many people would recognize what kind of car it is. That was one of the things I really liked about it. It's obscure enough that most people will have no idea what it is, and it'll make a good Hot Wheels car. I always liked the Bradley, and haven't 100% ruled out the possibility of getting this one running. But for now it'll be part of my display.

Edited by Klayfish

• 2 weeks later...

Does any have any video of strobes in action on heir Xmas display. I could see these being great for Holloween, but would nice to see them used in an Xmas display.

Thanks

Does any have any video of strobes in action on heir Xmas display. I could see these being great for Holloween, but would nice to see them used in an Xmas display.

Thanks

different strobes for different displays, for Halloween you would use the traditional type of strobe light you would find at someplace like Spirit Halloween.  the type you would aim in a direct and set off or on.

For Christmas most of us use a string of 10 to 20 xeon c9 bulbs.  In my case I put them in my Mega Tree and when fired they give a random twinkle effect that I think is really cool.

different strobes for different displays, for Halloween you would use the traditional type of strobe light you would find at someplace like Spirit Halloween.  the type you would aim in a direct and set off or on.

For Christmas most of us use a string of 10 to 20 xeon c9 bulbs.  In my case I put them in my Mega Tree and when fired they give a random twinkle effect that I think is really cool.

That sounds like a neat idea... I'm gonna have to throw that on the bucket list.

Thanks

That sounds like a neat idea... I'm gonna have to throw that on the bucket list.

Thanks

http://wowlights.com/ProductList.asp?Category=14

another site that will give you an idea of strobe options, I have used the strobe flood lights and think they are better suited for Halloween.  As I had stated earlier the c9's in your mega tree or elsewhere (have seen them used in a yard with stakes), is really cool.  they also have video's.