Light-O-Rama Forums

Fixtures to Prop To Visualizer Relationship

bob_moody

Long title to hopefully an easy answer.

I'm building pixel based letters to replace my MERRY CHRISTMAS sign.

Each letter is built from single fixtures in a 5x7 matrix (like a dot matrix) for exampe the letter M

X        X

X X  X X

X   X   X

X        X

X        X

X        X

X        X

Each "X" represents a pixel fixture. The first pixel dot is M1P1..and so on.. to M1P17.

Once each of the pixels are placed on the Visualizer grid, the 17 pixels are joined as a prop named Letter M1 etc...

This translates to 219 pixel fixtures in 14 Letter Props for total of 657 channels divided over 2 DMX universes.

Here is my issue...

I've created pixel fixtures for M1,E1,R1,R2,Y1 and C1,H1,R3 and constructed the letters on Visualizer and created a LETTER prop from the associated pixels (up to this point) for each letter.  

When imported in to SuperStar, I noticed I had a pixel missing in the letter E (E1P6). It was there in the visualizer but I had duplicated the channel numbers so SuperStar dropped the duplicate.

Not a problem... but there is...

I checked the fixture for E1P6 and fixed the issue (manually by editing the XML file... Yes this is where its going to bite me .. I know)

When I opened the Visualizer and checked the pixel it still had the old channel config.

This has led me to infer that once created, when the visualizer opens, it does not read the PROP file and the PROP files do not read the fixture files to stay current or update any changes.

So if you create a fixture file in Viz project A and reuse it and update it in Viz project B, Viz project B does not update the change to the fixture and the prop built from the fixture does not update in Vix project A.

So I'm perplexed on the whole concept in fixtures and props if once they are in a vizualizer grid they function outside the saved fixture and prop files you saved.

Is there a way to tell a prop to reload/reread/update from the fixtures and additionally tell the VIZ project to reload/reread/update the props contained within?

Hopefully this makes sense.... I've been updating/creating the pixel fixtures for so long now my Train of Thought has derailed....

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

As I go back to work on this project, I'm thinking that since the MERRY CHRISTMAS sign is a one off display item, that creating 219 fixtures and 14 props is probably unnecessary considering what I'm seeing now since the saved fixtures and prop dont have any change effect on the events built during the creation of the visualizer project.

It was faster to create a fixture then duplicate it outside of visualizer by editing the XML for fixture name, channel name, channel number and DMX universe when it changed.

Fixtures and Props are library and not reference type files.  They are one-way, meaning once you bring them in they become part of the simulation.  Changes made to lpf and lff files are not picked up by the Visualizer.  Instead, you need to delete and then re-import the lpf or lff in question.

I see what you are saying, and that is an interesting concept.  I could see something like the Visualizer on open of an editor file, looking at a prop/fixture as it loads.  If the prop/fixture was created as an imported thing, look to see if the lpf/lff file changed.  If so, offer to import the new lpf/lff and replace what is there with it.

I'll add that to the wishlist.

Mike,

thanks for the quick reply.

I understand what your saying regarding the library vs. reference file.

RGB pixel coding is a bit faster when I create the XML files outside of Visualizer then bring them in, place the pxiel. I have learned the value of the prop rename and channel assignment features. That does make it alot faster (referring back to the reference vs library issue since I dont have to worry about things updating incorrectly)

+++++

One more question while I have your attention.... when placing objects on the visualizer grid, can these items only be moved and set with the mouse? It would be great if you could make your gross movements with the mouse then drop to the keyboard for micro movements to place an item (especially pixels) exactly where you want them in the grid.

I have to admit that I have not gone through and read all the docs, so if that feature is there just give me a RTFM reply and I'll be appropriately punished ... :lol:

and finally, on the RENAME... Viz offers the user the option to manually rename the fixtures, it would be nice if it also would allow (while in manual mode) the option to rename the channels as well.

That way when imported in to SuperStar and subsequently exported to the LOR Sequence Editor, the channels would be something that made sense ..

For example in the "M" Letter prop, the fixtures are manually renamed to M1P1... M1P18...

But then the channels get a additive name built...

I would want the channel names to be

M1P1-Red

M1P1-Green

M1P1-Blue..

Which I can do, but have to go back in edit individually ... Just a thought..

I know it seems like the same work, but if it were offered in a table or through popup windows like fixture name it would save a couple of steps...

Thanks again,

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

Once again ... pondering ...

Does it really matter what the channel name ends up being?

I'll have a sign thats 600+ channels where the Viz file is imported into SuperStar for programming..

If I have to make a change to the sequence then it would be done via SS and not in the Sequence Editor .. I wouldnt relish the idea of trying to pixel program a change in the SE with 3 channels per pixel and that many channels...

Soooooooooooooo... I really dont see what difference the channel names would make...

Anyone else?

Bob

The keyboard move stuff is on the wishlist.  Starting with 3.5, you can use the SHIFT key for refining the mouse moves.  When you press and hold shift, the Visualizer increases the resolution of the mouse by a factor of 10.  That will help.

http://www.lightorama.com/help/whats_new.htm#3-5-0

About  channel names ->  Have you read this:  http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/22632-whats-in-a-name-keeping-the-sequence-editor-and-visualizer-in-sync/

If you follow those best practices, then you can use Channel Config Files (or sequences) to maintain the channel names.  In your case, you would load the channel config into the Vis and then match on KEY.  Matching on key will update the channels name and color.

Did I miss anything?