Light-O-Rama Forums

Video to Pixel Sign

xrays911

This year we are incororating a pixel sign into our display. I would like to be able to take a video and somehow convert that video so it runs on my pixel sign during a particular song. Is this possible and if so what do I need to make this happen?

SuperStar does not have the ability to convert video, it may be incorporated in the future, but right now it does not do that. I believe LightShow Pro will convert video so you may want to use LightShow Pro to do that.

Do you need it to play audio as well?  There is a way if you just want the video and you can sync the audio with LOR but it takes a few steps.  First you need to pull the audio from the video file and create a new sequnce with it, if your using the audio. Then you need to extract the video, both in size and resolution so that it will fit your pixel screen.  Next you can run it through BobO's marquee tool to make it into a clipbaord to paste into the Sequence Edit over your matrix files. Its not hard but you need to know the steps and software.

There are many programs and online sites to convert your video to gif.   Unless your matrix is very large, most will not look very good. 

In Marquee you can select a small fixed location to extract if you dont need the entire frame. 

• 2 months later...

Hello! (I just saw this thread)

I had a pixel screen which I used to display a lot of video. At first I loved it....then I hated all the attention it received....then I embraced it and now love it again.

I left it up to do a Valentine's show....FAIL...then St. Patrick's....FAIL....but did get an Easter show. In fact it is still up, I am testing a new 4 port controller.

While I would agree that the size does matter, you can do a lot with a little. Here is what I originally envisioned: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/20956-ccp-santa-house and that was only going to have 1400 pixels. (and the video I rendered at the time looks decent) Then I expanded to the 48X80 matrix http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26056-3840-pixel-matrix-information-11520-dmx-channels

Not because I was unhappy, but because the House shape was limiting. (Although I am pretty sure it is happening this year, heck, I still have 1/2 sitting in my office against the wall, never been outside, but things always change) Not to mention, the human eye is actually very forgiving when watching these live.

I did use LSP to sequence them. I suggest HD so you get the best matrix quality.

In these two clips there is method to my madness (besides showing off a little) The Christmas Train Marquee at the beginning of COTB was created by me using the matrix editor and by painfully manually clicking each and every light color on for 160 frames....Pure torture (they are trying to have an option like MS paint or something when you can just highlight, yada yada yada.....)

In the Beethoven Virus clip I did it differently (does not look as good, but I would have no idea how to create a believable rotating egg manually) I created the multiple colored eggs in MS paint. Created a video file using something (it was ulead or premier elements, I cannot remember). The eggs were inserted on overlay tracks that move accross the screen and rotated in and out. I Then mixed it with a title property for the FM station. I Then created the video and rendered it onto the matrix using LSP.

Both songs have the title of the song run across the screen. Both of these were done using the marquee effect in LSP. I am not impressed, looks choppy. But that could be operator error.

One caveat....the more pixels you add, the more painful sequencing becomes. LOR has an issue with mega-lms files. LSP came out with a 64bit version last year. When I was creating the Beethoven Virus sequence LSP was up to 5.6GB in memory usage (at the same time I was resaving my massive Skrillex file and LOR was using 3.5GB) Yikes! Funny, when I built the machine and was buying memory i was told; 2 8GB memory modules? A little overkill? LOL! Glad I didn't listen to him.

Hope I helped a little.

Eric

• 2 years later...

Does the newest software (S4 and Pro) and/or Superstar have the ability to create the video files as wanted in the above posts?