Light-O-Rama Forums

Really New - Newbie

AuPairAlex

Hello,

About me. I'm from Germany and here as an Au Pair. My host family have some nice Christmas light. We were driving around Christmas and saw a few homes with music on FM Radio. I think that they are very kewl and I think that they used lightorama.

While I am here I thought that I might do a display this Christmas. I already have the software downloaded. I have some musical ability. I have enjoyed listening to the music and adding timings.

Questions:

1) If I buy a controller to use here in the US. Is there an easy way to convert it to use in Germany (220V)?

2) If there isn't an easy way to convert it, will the software, USB and network work with a controller made for Germany.

3) Does anyone know if you can legally use the same FM transmitter in Germany?

4) It look like everyone here loves the EDM transmitter and hates the whole house. That is very expensive. What is the second choice to EDM?

Thank you.

I know the V1 and V2 PC Board versions of the controllers can be converted by just a simple jumper selection from 120V to 240V.

Not sure what change, if any has been made to the newer G3 controllers on voltage selection, so someone with a G3 controller will need to answer that one.

As to your other questions, I really can't say, I would think you could check with the FM Transmitter manufacturer and they should be able to tell you if the transmitter could be used in either Germany and/or the US.

Don't know what a good choice other than the EDM would be.  I use a MobileBlackBox Eclipse 4000 {no longer in production/available}, but cost was still close to the same as the EDM.    There are cheaper FM transmitters out there and I'm sure someone using one of those less expensive units, once they see your question will give you their choice and quality of the FM transmitter they're using.

But just about everyone will recommend you go with the EDM line.

i use gen 3 boards here in the uk on 240v ,,,,you can just order them from LOR in 240v all you have to do is change the power leads  

all the software and dongle will work fine in Germany too 

i don't know about the transmitters as i just use a amplifier and speakers so others can hear my music 

oh and welcome to LOR

dan 

In Germany it is a lot more regulated - even using a US part 15 transmitter could be a problem. They are also a lot more active in hunting what they consider pirate radios using their legendary "Peilwagen". FM (UKW) is regulated by the Bundesnetzagentur and the Landesmedienanstalten...

Here is a link to a German forum dealing with this topic: http://www.mysnip.de/forum-archiv/thema-21422-136939/UKW+Sender+fuer+hausinternes+Radio.html

Lastly - there are a few differences in the way FM is broadcasted, e.g. Pre-emphasis and a few other parameters are slightly different and should be matching the country they are built for.

Edited by viennaxmas

One additional topic - RDS: the standard is slightly different between the US and Germany - most devices I know can be switched however...

I finally found the "Verwaltungsvorschrift" for in house transmitters in Germany:

http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/BNetzA/Sachgebiete/Telekommunikation/Regulierung/Frequenzordnung/Allgemeinzuteilung/FundstelleId5005pdf.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

50 nW ERP are allowed. This is similar helpful than the US Part 15 which also specifies the transmitted power measured in a distance from the Antenna. Not helpful for people without tons of expensive equipment to measure. So you could get one of those transmitters, you may have to put the antenna in your yard to stay within the limits... Aside from that there are also the CE guidelines.

I am however jealous... I miss the 3 phase 32A connector I used to have in Germany. 20,000 W in a single outlet (OK, I admit, I also used 125 A CEE outlets) for setting up light shows :-)