Light-O-Rama Forums

Making the move to CCR's ... No idea where to begin

Tracy West

Ok.. I have been playing around last year with DMX and learned how to do that. This year I want to play with CCR's and learn that.

Here is where I am at....... (crickets chirping)

So here is my questions.

1. I need to upgrade my LOR S3.7 to include Superstar Sequencer? (starting with 2 CCR's) An upgrade to the program for $50.00?

2. When using the Superstar Sequencer.... How do you get it to work with your sequences. (I am looking to add the CCR's to some of my already done sequences).

3. Is there any good tutorials that will take me through all of these steps and questions?

Trying to start now to learn how to work all this so I can get started on my programing early this year.

Upgrading to the most recent version is always a good idea, but realize that SuperStar is a part of the standard S3 download, so you already have it. Also, you can write sequences without buying the license and you can save and play the sequences to the SuperStar computer screen, you just can't export the sequences to play to your actual CCRs until you buy the license.

There are some video tutorials. Go to the lightorama main page, click on "Support" then click on "Video Tutorials", the SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom. Do the first two, the first one is on Scenes and the second one is on Morphs. You can do most of the tutorials using the free demo version.

Also, one of the tutorials covers how to get your CCR sequence into you main sequence.

Upgrading to the most recent version is always a good idea, but realize that SuperStar is a part of the standard S3 download, so you already have it. Also, you can write sequences without buying the license and you can save and play the sequences to the SuperStar computer screen, you just can't export the sequences to play to your actual CCRs until you buy the license.

There are some video tutorials. Go to the lightorama main page, click on "Support" then click on "Video Tutorials", the SuperStar tutorials are at the bottom. Do the first two, the first one is on Scenes and the second one is on Morphs. You can do most of the tutorials using the free demo version.

Also, one of the tutorials covers how to get your CCR sequence into you main sequence.

Thanks for the info.

I realize the SS is part of the S3 but when I was playing with it and tried to export it stated I was in DEMO mode and it would not allow export. That was why I questioned that. It would be best to just get all the things I need to get started so I can move forward.

Tracy, just so you know you do not NEED Superstar to program your CCRs. What do you plan on using your CCRs for (arches)? I have (4) CCRs used for sale that I used as arches and never needed Superstar to program them. I see Superstar really being used if you have a LOT of CCRs or if you're doing a CCR tree or Matrix and that is really where the system shines!

Tracy, just so you know you do not NEED Superstar to program your CCRs. What do you plan on using your CCRs for (arches)? I have (4) CCRs used for sale that I used as arches and never needed Superstar to program them. I see Superstar really being used if you have a LOT of CCRs or if you're doing a CCR tree or Matrix and that is really where the system shines!

I was going to use my CCR's for my UFO spaceship.

As LightsinMaine stated, it's not necessary to get Superstar, but I will add to what he has already stated. Depending on how many CCRs and how many different props you will use them in, that should determine whether you get the SSE. As LightsinMaine said, CCR arches are very simple to sequence since it's mainly chases you'll be using, and if you can figure out how to use the Macros.

You stated you will be using them on a UFO spaceship, (Agreed, Cool) SSE probably will be overkill. Now, if you will be using them in multiple props or as stated above in a Superstar tree, SSE is a very nice addition. I sequenced 400 Pixels (4 CCPs) last year and it was a great tool. I am in the process of sequencing over 1000 Pixels this year and I don't know what I would do without it.

It all comes down to, I think, 2 things, Do I want to work with 1 or 2 sequencing programs, and, do I want to get some of the cool effects that Superstar offers. In my instance, I opted for the SSE. It's been an awesome tool for me. Brian is also very helpful if you run into a snag.

If you plan on doing more pixels in the future, I would recommend the add-on. Once you have the "Aha" moment, you will love it.

Hope this is a little bit of help.

Ron

As LightsinMaine stated, it's not necessary to get Superstar, but I will add to what he has already stated. Depending on how many CCRs and how many different props you will use them in, that should determine whether you get the SSE. As LightsinMaine said, CCR arches are very simple to sequence since it's mainly chases you'll be using, and if you can figure out how to use the Macros.

You stated you will be using them on a UFO spaceship, (Agreed, Cool) SSE probably will be overkill. Now, if you will be using them in multiple props or as stated above in a Superstar tree, SSE is a very nice addition. I sequenced 400 Pixels (4 CCPs) last year and it was a great tool. I am in the process of sequencing over 1000 Pixels this year and I don't know what I would do without it.

It all comes down to, I think, 2 things, Do I want to work with 1 or 2 sequencing programs, and, do I want to get some of the cool effects that Superstar offers. In my instance, I opted for the SSE. It's been an awesome tool for me. Brian is also very helpful if you run into a snag.

If you plan on doing more pixels in the future, I would recommend the add-on. Once you have the "Aha" moment, you will love it.

Hope this is a little bit of help.

Ron

I really only want to work with one program if all possible but I want to be able to control my CCR's, my dmx lights, and my LOR lights all one sequence. (Without pulling out my hair in the process)!!

Yes, the chase is what I am interested in for my UFO.

I use 5 CCRs for arches (one CCR for each) and program them via software (not Supper Star or macros)

I am using another 4 for something I havn't seen yet and I will be using just the normal software with advanced license.

Mine are just chases using White Blue Green Red and this year Orange and Purple for Halloween

I really only want to work with one program if all possible but I want to be able to control my CCR's, my dmx lights, and my LOR lights all one sequence. (Without pulling out my hair in the process)!!

Yes, the chase is what I am interested in for my UFO.

I have a visualization of my Pixel Tree, CC Pixels, DMX minis and Rainbow Pixels (DMX) in 2 different visualizations. Pixel tree in one and all the rest in a second one. I also have several other LED elements in a vis too. I sequence most everything in Superstar and then export to the LOR Sequence Editor, and tweak there. I do very little sequencing in LOR SE anymore. I went to about 75% Pixels and Basic RGB nodes this year, and as a result, I find it easier to sequence most of it in Superstar. If you're just doing the chases, as I stated earlier, IMHO, Superstar would be overkill.

It IS, an awesome program though. I would keep it in mind as your display grows to more RGB stuff.

Good Luck,

Ron