Light-O-Rama Forums

Musical Stage Show

ironside82

Hello,

I'm base in the UK and do the lighting for a small theatre group, We're constantly playing around with new lighting ideas and I been looking into possible using Light-o-Rama to sync up LED par cans and some RGB LED strips.

I've downloaded the demo version and had a good look around it my question is this.

Unless I have missed something is there the ability to click a button on the software which sets the sequence playing, similar to an audio sound cart for cueing sound effects but for the lights? it looks like a great piece of software but  I just need to be able to do this.

Many Thanks

James

You have a few options.

If you have the Sequence Editor open, and the hardware connected, you can hit the "Play" button there in the sequence editor to start the musical/animation sequence. This will cue the currently loaded sequence to start playing.

You could play with the "Show on Demand" functionality, though this may not start the sequence exactly when you expect.

Another option would be to have a physical button that you would push to 'trigger' the sequence. This would require more than just the controller though.

Thats what I was thinking, playing the track from the sequence editor.

It doesn't look like i'll be able to load the sequences up fast enough as I'm guessing you cant have multiple tracks loaded separately in to the editor.

I love way LOR works with the timeline based approach with all the channels underneath, Its just a shame its not really geared towards what I'm looking for a live show and the ability to cue up multiple sequences from the software. Its probably quite simple to integrate I guess.

I'll have to keep on looking. Thanks Anway

You can have more than one sequence loaded into the sequence editor. It will introduce an extra click on starting the sequence though.

Ah yes, i see, having them all loaded as separate tabs at the top and the moving between them could work.

Do you think the sequence editor would struggle if there were around 10 tabs open each with a different track and lighting cues programmed?

Ah yes, i see, having them all loaded as separate tabs at the top and the moving between them could work.

Do you think the sequence editor would struggle if there were around 10 tabs open each with a different track and lighting cues programmed?

I'm not sure if it would or not. I could make arguments both ways (it would and it wouldn't)

I think it will depend on how complex the sequences are (ie, a lot of commands vs 'simple' animation, etc.) and how much memory/cpu you have on the computer/laptop running the sequences for you.

You can do this with triggers. Not software based but possible.

You would have to have separate buttons or switches that is hard wired to the controllers. One switch for each sequence you want to be able to run on command.

You pre-program the sequences and they will start upon pressing the pre-assigned trigger.

Edited by Shubb

• 4 months later...

Well its a week before the show, Many weeks of programming using LOR and its ready to go, 2 hours of music all synced up, Playing directly out of the sequence editor seems to work really well even with 14 or so tracks loaded at once, Thanks for all your help, Will let you know how it goes.