Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini LED Floods?

derekb

I want to use mini LED floods, or something similar to light up some of my yard art. I don't like how full floods light up the whole area around them. I am thinking of a small, but bright light to clip to the bottom of them and light them up. I am thinking about putting some of the yard art up on the roof, so most of the mini stake lights I have found don't seem to be the right answer. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I don't want to re-invent the wheel if there is something out there that will work. Thanks!

Edited by derekb

If you just want one color than a simple flood light will do just fine (with an LED bulb). If you want it to change colors (rgb), than either the cosmic color floods or something like the aether from diylightanimation. You could also use one of the floods that ray sells like this one.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC12V-input/701799_550394253.html

Hope this helps.

derek,

you could go with rainbow spots from

www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com

if you can attach the pigtails then the diy unit is even cheaper than what aliexpress has.  you could get your own enclosure or get the one they have,  you can get any length cord and set them anywhere in your set-up and have full color control.

i have some of their floods and they work very well.  the cosmic color floods sound like they would be overkill for what your wanting to do.

I want to use mini LED floods, or something similar to light up some of my yard art. I don't like how full floods light up the whole area around them. I am thinking of a small, but bright light to clip to the bottom of them and light them up. I am thinking about putting some of the yard art up on the roof, so most of the mini stake lights I have found don't seem to be the right answer. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I don't want to re-invent the wheel if there is something out there that will work. Thanks!

don't know if this will fit the bill but I use LED spots/floods from Spirit Halloween.  They are single color but I think they only come in Green, Red, and BlackLight.  Lowe's has some mini spots that I have used also (though a little too bright).

Thanks everyone. Great resources and ideas. I need to consider which I am going to purchase, considering I want to light up 13 things.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of ideas on Halloween Forum. I have been playing around a little bit with the LED pin spot lights. I have tried the 5mm and 10mm size LED's and I think the 10mm size is the way to go. Im trying to light up individual tomb stones so it sounds like we are trying to do the same type of thing. The link below is just one of many...

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/91992-led-pin-spots.html

If your lighting up something like tombstones and want single color only, buy some 9-15 led cheap flashlights.  You want the ones you can remove the bulb.  Remove the battery pack, drill a hole in the side of the housing and wire them to the 3.3V output of an old computer power supply.  you can also control them using a LOR DC controller.