Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie

JerryB

I had been looking at setting up a light display for awhile. At first we bought a cheap 4 channel system that had pre-recorded music from one of the big box stores. Very disappointing and didnt even make it through the first season before half of it quit working.

This year I had a little extra money so bought my first LOR controller and just finished soldering it together. I bought one sequence from the LOR website to test it with and it works so now I have to start planning. Glad I got the one as the store is temporarily closed so I can't get anymore sequences while LOR is doing their upgrade to the store.

The sequences in the store all seem to be setup for 3 controllers, with just the one controller it seems okay but really needs the other channels to add accents so I already know I will be getting two more well before this coming Christmas.

I have the impression one of the big costs is going to be wiring so here is the question.

In your opinion is it better to buy outdoor extension cords to run from the light to the controller or does the SPT1 wire work well to go from the light to the controller and then just use the 12 AWG extension cords to provide power to the controller. That many cords would be quite expensive and the budget is going to get stretched as it is ;)

Welcome aboard!  And yes, SPT1 is all you need along with vampire plugs.  Figure out how much you need , then double that amount.  You normally get a better price if you order 1,000 feet or more.  I have 4 controllers and so far have used 2,000 or so.

Are you using LED's or incandescents?  Know how much power you are going to draw.  If you are all LED, then you probably wont need any 12gauge cords.   Even with regular lights you should only need a 12 gauge to feed the controller main power.

6,9, and 12 foot cords are probably still cheaper to get locally rather than building them. 

JerryB

You are now doomed to the pits of the Christmas Light Show. LOL!!! Last Christmas was my first year doing LOR. I didn't read the forums much before I jumped in. I wish I had. I spend over $1,050.00 for store bought 40' extension cords from the local box store 82 in all. I'm expanding for this year and have ordered a spool of SP1 and a bunch of plugs. The spool of wire and plugs where a lot cheaper than what I spent on my extension cords, about a 1/3 of the cost.

A little advise. Read and ask questions. Something I didn't do. There is w wealth of information and help here on this forum.

Have fun.

absolutly go with spt-1 and vampire plugs. Not only is it cheaper but the ability to make custom lengths makes setup sp much better. I make mine then lable them for the prop they go to, a little bit of a pain the first time but it will make setup the nexy season a breeze.

I have hit the local Target on the post Christmas sales and have gotten the 6,9,15 foot cords at 75% off.

At full price the spt-1/vampire plugs are the best bet.

As far as custom lengths go, make sure you have a good plan on how you want to lay things out and also think about future expansion.

A custom cord this year may be useless next year if you change things drastically. 

I certainly am doomed, my wife is fine with the cost as long as we make use of the stuff :P

Will make it much easier not needing many 12 awg cords though I will use them to power the controller, there is no plug real close to the front of my house so I have to run the power from my garage or through a window so its a bit of a run.

I plan to use all LED lights to keep the utility bill under control and the fact they need much less amperage makes it easier to provide enough power without haviing to hire an electrician to provide more circuits.

I hit all the garage and estate sales i can in my area ( and there a lot ) usually I can get 12-14 Gauge extension cords for a dollar each or even free as most people just want o get rid of their clutter. This last weekend I got 12 18' icicle strings in white and LED brand new in their boxes never opened for $1.50 each and the owners threw in 6 outdoor rated good extension cords. Thrift stores ( St. Vinnies, Goodwill, etc.. ) can also be a good option. Of course I am winding up with way more stuff than I will be able to use this year, but am sure I will be able to put it to use in years to come as I get more controllers and expand.

jerry welcome to the madness. 

i have to agree with everyone,  spt1 is the way to go.  alot cheaper and much easier to make what you need.

just a heads up don't go making a bunch of cords before you start putting things outside. 

as soon as make the cords you'll put stuff outside and their too short.  you'll change your mind about where stuff is gonna go and you'll forget about that bush, and the rock wall, and how far it is up to the roof.

james is also correct.  once you get them make and your set-up done then go outside with some tape and a sharpie and mark or number everything.  i have a list with numbers and where each cord goes in the controller and what it goes to in the yard.  it really does save alot of time.

definately go with leds.  its amazing how many you can have and how little juice they use.   i have about 40,000 lights (give or take.  i'm too lazy to count them all) and i have all of them in 4 outlets of my house.

welcome to the lor family.  keep them questions coming.   glad to help