Light-O-Rama Forums

Chasing Lights - How To?

bignunz1031

Ok I am a LOR virgin i am trying to do my first squences for halloween and I have four columns with three different strands on it. I want to make it look like the lights are chasing each other up and down. I have the channels set up already just not sure if I have to tap the song out real fast. I tried the chase key but it doesnt do anything (  most likely I'm doing it wrong lol) Could somebody please help me out? I am a former AL user and I brought the songs from them now I upgraded myself to LOR because I dont want to pay $40 for a pre squence or a $100 for a new song.

Thanks in advance Nunzio

you would have to stagger the 3 strings so the bulbs were in order.   Once in order you can chase them.   But to chase along the string that isnt designed for it would be impossible (nothing impossible but a lot of work and channels).

So take your 3 strings, place them one on top of another spacing the bulbs so they look even.  Then get ziptie happy and sure them up so they do not move from those orders.   Plug into 3 LOR channels and have fun chasing.

I have four columns with three different strands on it. I want to make it look like the lights are chasing each other up and down.

Are you saying you have three strands on EACH Column, so 12 different strands?

And each strand wrapped AROUND the column so strand 2 is above strand 1 and strand 3 is above strand 2?

If that is the case you can "chase" them as 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1 etc...

But if you want to have each individual light string have each individual bulb "chase", then like WilliamS said, no, you can't without a special light string such as a Cosmic Color Ribbon (CCR) or Cosmic Color Bulb (CCB) ore other RGB "smart" string where each bulb can be individually controlled...

Edited by jimswinder

hey nunzio,

i don't know how big your columns are but i have posts on my porch and i wrapped them and treat them like vertical arches.

i use 8 channels and just reverse it on the opposite side so they mirror themselves.

here's a little walk around video i did.  at about 1:00 i do a close up to the porch and you can see the posts.  i used multi, then red, then orange, and then white.  if you set them to chase then you can get some neat effects. with my set-up i can do right to left, left to right, bottom to top, and top to bottom. you can also bounce back and for between the posts.  next year i want to separate each post so i can control them more.

if you need any help let me know.  i have mine and i know james (above) did something similar with the posts on his deck.

plus eventually if you want to separate each post and location you can use the vu option and set your column to react via the frequency of you song.  something to play with.